Team Chevelle banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Well life gets in the way Logan, looks like it’s coming along, looks very nice.
That it does. If I had been any older than I am I definitely would've not gone the frame off route. Once is enough for me!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
The Frame is looking good. Where did you get that replacement rear brace for the frame?
Picked it up off of SS396 or OPG, one of the two (Can't recall).

Went really great. Didn't take more than a day to chop out the old one and install the new one.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Picked it up off of SS396 or OPG, one of the two (Can't recall).

Went really great. Didn't take more than a day to chop out the old one and install the new one.
Thanks for the quick response. I'm doing my 66 frame and the rear brace on mine looks pretty bad also. I was going to try and straiten it, but not if a replacement is available.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Thanks for the quick response. I'm doing my 66 frame and the rear brace on mine looks pretty bad also. I was going to try and straiten it, but not if a replacement is available.
I had thought about doing that in the first place as well, but when the rest of the frame was straightened I realized it really wasn't worth it. Plenty of knowledge to get it done on these forums too!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
How do you plan to mount the transmission crossmember since you completely boxed the frame rails front to rear?
AH someone asked the grand ol' question that I jumped too quickly on.

Going to have a plate made up that will be mated to the frame with 4 nutserts and a rosette well in the center that I can position when I get the motor and transmission in place for proper measurements. It would've been stock and not and issue but I am going with a 200-4R instead.

The plate will be in an L type fashion that can let the transmission crossmember sit on top of and bolt like your typical C-Channel frame.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
This is what I did, the holes are slightly elongated along with the center mount. It can be moved both ways and can be raised with spacers. This was before powdercoat.

Attachments

·
Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
1,901 Posts
As people have told me, it's like eating an elephant, just take it one bite at a time man. Keep improving yourself, but don't let the project sit for too long. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,109 Posts
How do you plan to mount the transmission crossmember since you completely boxed the frame rails front to rear?
I was wondering the same thing myself. I decided to change my 65 Impala from a TH350 to a TH400, and only when I got about half way into it did I realize the Impala has a boxed frame, which complicated matters quite a bit :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Been a little long for an update, but i think it's about time for one!

Transmission is built and done. Waiting for install.

Done the mockup needed for my mount brackets.

I've purchased the ABC Performance Brake Line kit to go along with their boxing kit I had ordered. Should go pretty straight forward! Only thing I need is the rear differential kit. Any recommendations for the flex hose?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Disassembled the old gauge assembly. Ordered some new parts and pieces through OPGI and sent it down to Redline Gauges. Quality work from a quality company. Couldn't be happier with the outcome! Now I just need to find a small plug for the clock hole.

Next to buy the small little AC Vent, wiper motor, and when get my wiring harness, finish the assembly. Really debating what I want to do with the radio. It does click on and is VERY clean, so I'm not sure if I want to get it tuned perfectly or gut it for bluetooth..

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
And for the big reveal,

Body was blasted and of course, found some super awesome secrets!

Driver side quarter was the worst. Someone definitely tried to do something at one time or another. Dash and A-Pillars were pretty torn up, luckily the patch panel piece did some justice on it. Trunk was bad, rear tail-light housings needed some custom inserts. Passenger Rear Window Sail Panel was practically gone. Floor boards inside weren't terrible, just some small welding here and there. I did purchase an entire set of floor pans, only used about 20% of it, so if anyone is in the Bay Area and is interesting in buying what I have, let me know!

Posting soon the outcome of labors..

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
This was a super-fun day! Got to grind out all of the seam-sealant and glue inside for when I re-blast the car for primer & underside finishing. Pretty content with the work done in this stage. Just a quick trip back in the sandblasting booth before I powder-prime the entire body. Panels are currently in progress.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
And in between this, managed to score a license plate frame & refinish.

As for the remainder,

My fenders are currently prime coated and ready to hang. Doors are blasted and ready for prime. Hood & Trunk are ready to be blasted, just have to get by on a weekend and knock it out! Car is ready for re-delivery to get blasted and primed.

Transmission needs re-mocking up to hang the brackets, lines need to be run after. Entire fuel system was purchased, Aeromotive Fuel Tank with the electric fuel pump mounted inside.

Debating on pulling the trigger for my American Autowire Kit & Vintage AC Kit for mocking up before giving it back to the painter. Does it make sense to purchase these items before hand? I understand my firewall needs modification, so I'm figuring why not before it is primed. My fenders do also not have the SS molding cutouts (for some reason) so I'm thinking to purchase this as well for the body work to be pre-notched.

need advice on how to proceed!!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Been trying to keep a steady work pace on the project for a couple months now. One piece a week someone told me. Just finished buttoning up the frame & got the body mounted. Went pretty smooth for how long they seemed to have been apart. Waiting for the body / paint shop to let me know when I can bring it to them to keep the ball rolling!

Sherm's Plating in Sacramento has my original bumpers, console pieces, and Wing Window misc other items to be re-done.

Ended up Purchasing Nu-Relics System & All new Glass, so spending the time mainly now just re-painting all the existing window track assemblies and such. One piece at a time, and it's definitely costing more than a dime.. Labor of Love.

20210313_163515.jpg

20210313_163449.jpg

20210314_163519.jpg

61 - 77 of 77 Posts