Premium Member
6,949 Posts
:thumbsup: some nice progress!
Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Been a while since I've done a whole bunch in my opinion, so I'll just give a quick update.

Decided to pull the windows out so it's a tad lighter pulling the body off the frame.

What a lovely surprise when I learned the prior owners had cocked the window moldings in... found out why. Any advice?

On the good notes, rear end is built and all ready to go.

Been selling off some things here and there, still got some powerglides I'm trying to ditch; however, I picked up a 200R4 from a fella in Sacramento thanks to a member on this site. Progress hopefully soon.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
The rust around the windows isn't too surprising for a coastal car. Do you own a welder? I'm not a body man but I'm sure it can be fixed with some time and effort.

Your mechanical parts are coming along nicely.

Devin

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The rust around the windows isn't too surprising for a coastal car. Do you own a welder? I'm not a body man but I'm sure it can be fixed with some time and effort.

Your mechanical parts are coming along nicely.

Devin
Yeah I'm not too incredibly worried about it. I'm debating trying to fix it first or to blast it first so I have a better idea what I am dealing with.

Going to end up buying some new internals for the 200R4 and get that rebuilt. Past that, just finishing up my top end which I've been procrastinating, getting a drive shaft build from a reputable guy I do a lot of business for, and pulling the trigger on some rims and tires, I should be set to roll it around a couple more years.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Have you had a chance to look at your frame yet? it may need it also. I've done the windshield channel, dash portion , pretty much straight forward.
May need blasting? I'm going to blast and powder my frame when I get the body off pretty much the same weekend. (fingers crossed).

I'm not so much worried about the dash as I am the back window section on the right. Hopefully it doesn't get much worse.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Made some good progress in my opinion. Got the body off during this weekend with the help of my family. Managed to snag some photos of the progress.

Frame is already at my shop ready to get blasted and powdered. Should be fun!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
A little progress here and there. Got the frame in the blaster

Noticed a kink in the rear of the frame, so got that fixed and ground down some of that nasty factory splatter.

Ended up replacing the rear panel since it was too dinged up for my liking.

Prepared the frame for boxing

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

Came time to get it all smooth and powder

It dulled out a hair once it cooled down from it's hour long oven cook. Threw it on a trailer and took it over to the two post where it will be assembled. Gave it the lovely birthday gift (If anyone noticed the frame's birthday is 4/14/18 (Today) with some rear end components.

For the most part it was a smooth day, except for lucky me learning that the rear end upper control arm bushing is a single year O.D. bushing, to which Chevelle forums saved me and gave me an Autozone Part Number (FB295) saved me and allowed me to continue installing.

Not bad progress today.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Looks good Logan, those bushings got in my pocket to.
Called up Hotchkis today and they actually gave me the same part number to the Duralast Cross Reference part of FB295 (For anyone else curious). I called up Energy Suspension today to get those two bushings in polyurethane so I'll just press out the rubber and install the poly into the metal can and throw it back in. Shouldn't be too hard. Probably didn't need to do it but I figured I'm here and I'm working above the car so why struggle 25 years down the road trying to replace it. I'm only 20 and plan to hold onto it for a while longer.

·
Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
1,901 Posts
Doing a find job man, jealous of all the nice parts you have going on that thing!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Haven't had (What I felt) is a crazy amount of progress, but I'm getting there!

Figuring it out a bit by my lonesome here and there, but for the most part seems like it's going smoothly.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Good to see your progress! I hadn't checked in for a while. You don't know how lucky you are being able to blast and powdercoat everything!

Devin
I haven't posted any progress photos of the whole front end and what not like I should have.

Sadly had to put on my big boy pants when I turned 21 and get on a steady career path as a project estimator in San Francisco, so I'm no longer seeing all my parts that I still had ready to get to powder. BUT very much so it is on my mind. Found a body shop in Auburn, CA that I very much intend to bring my pile to when the time comes, but until then I chip slowly away during the weekends.

·
Premium Member
6,949 Posts
Looks very good! :thumbsup:

41 - 60 of 77 Posts