Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Premium Member
7,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Sounds like both occupants survived. I would not use an accident of this magnitude to determine if a vehicle is "tough" though. From the little info in the article, I'd say that the car did a pretty decent job of protecting it's occupants given the forces involved in that accident. Try a stunt like this in a Chevelle and see how it works out. They were/are very very lucky to be alive..... Cars aren't designed to be wrapped around poles at high speeds and survive with minimal damage.

· Premium Member
5,292 Posts
Having personally hit a stone fence and a telephone pole with a Mustang, survived and driven it home, I respectfully disagree, they are pretty tough. This was before finite element analysis and crumple zones.

Fixed it and drove it four more years...

· Premium Member
7,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
. Cars aren't designed to be wrapped around poles at high speeds and survive with minimal damage.
I doubt they are designed to break into pieces either.
and IMO the car FAILED at protecting the occupants.

· Premium Member
6,448 Posts
Just when you think you have idiot proofed a car, they come along and make a better idiot. Just looking at the picture doesn't tell you much, but at a glance, you would think that every spot weld had let go. It would be interesting to see up close just what happened to the welds. I've never seen a car come apart like that. He had to have been going an awful speed.

· Registered
7,099 Posts
Moral of the story, I guess, is that if you drive a ford make sure you are drunk so that you can survive an accident of that caliber? Car didnt protect the occupants, car did protect them, shouldnt break apart or its supposed to as part of the engineering...given the car either sucks or did exactly what it was supposed...and based on you guys not being sure either way, I have deduced that I should be drunk if and when I drive a mustang as a safety measure. Check. ;)

Or, we are witnessing a massive coverup in the automotive engineering world and what we are actually seeing in those pictures is the aftermath of a very serious failure in testing the worlds first automotive ejection seat.

"No, NO< NOOOOO! Who wired the ejection seat to the XM RADIO BUTTON!!!!!

· Registered
1,770 Posts
Maybe the body came from China like the manual transmission did? Cheap Chinese quality is Job 1?

That's ridiculous...I'd rather be in 2 tons of pre-'90s el cheapo iron than in a car that falls apart like that...YIKES :eek:

· Registered
1,758 Posts
If anyone decides that after an extreem hit of that nature a model or brand is unfit, well lets recreate it with a model of your choice. Now the best part is you get to be the crash test dummy to stand behind your word.

· Registered
7,099 Posts
If anyone decides that after an extreem hit of that nature a model or brand is unfit, well lets recreate it with a model of your choice. Now the best part is you get to be the crash test dummy to stand behind your word.
Deal.

I choose a mil spec humvee.

Wheres the parking lot, you choose the pole. :D

· Registered
849 Posts
Working in a body shop that is also a towing service,in time you will see a few cars and vans that have broken apart.I think they all have a weak spot and will break apart if hit in that area.Most of the stories that I have heard after a car has broke in half dont have a happy endings.I have seen a Caddy front wheel drive that was broken in half.

· Premium Member
7,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

· Registered
15,116 Posts
Come on Beaux man up pick the standard street cars out there available to the general public.
I'm dissappointed in you Dave... I really expected you to pick Al Franken as the "pole" :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.