Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get a book or info to turn my muncie into a butter stick. Hot rod your muncie. I can't find anything. Help.

[This message has been edited by Brenden Saylock (edited 07-06-2001).]

G

·
In 30 years of messing around with Muncies, I have never seen a written document that had the type of info you are looking for. Since the last Muncie was made in 74, the parts from GM discontinued in 93, not until the last couple of years has the demand for new and improved parts been heard by the suppliers.

Slick shifting a Muncie makes it unusable on the street so I assume you are looking at a race car application.

You would be better served by using a different trans for racing only applications if big sticky tires and lots of hp are involved.

www.muncie4speed.com

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So ya can't do some simple mods to internals to make it shift better? I'm not going drag racing just want a smoother shift at high speeds.

G

·
Let's see. For a Muncie to shift better it needs a number of things to be in good condition. The engagement teeth on the gears is a biggie, if they look like someone smeared them around with a butter knife, all the tricks in the world won't help. It's also a good idea to have good syncros, the kind with oil slots cut in them. Healthy sliders, hubs and forks, the slop shimmed out of the input to help 4th gear engagement, good bearings and last but not least a shifter that is adjusted and works.

You can help the shifting if the gears are a little tough by replacing the sliders with Torque Loc sliders. They are designed for this very thing.

In the end, the driver has more to do with how the trans shifts if all the mechanical parts are up to speed.

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 07-06-2001).]

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Brenden, I had both my Muncies rebuilt by a pro like Wally. All I can say is that with a decent shifter, they shift smooth as silk adn quite positively. I think, as Wally alluded to, its in the quality of the rebuild. I know for a fact that in the M20 I run now, they tighened up a few clearances. So think its just a matter of a very consciencious "blueprint" type rebuild.

------------------
Member #62 Gold/ACES 03112
67 SS396(427-3X2)
Be Big, Be a Builder

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to run a 64 chevy ll at Iland drag way with a m-21. This tranny shifted as smooth as silk.To make a long story short i once recovered 12 muncies at a sheriff's sale along with alot of other good stuff. The guy who owned the stuff was nick named one trip. His cars were fast but he was brutal on equipment. Well anyways I sold a couple of the trannys to some friends. We pulled the covers to find the syncros were all cut you know a tooth every other one. These trannys are still talked about to this day as the best shifting trannys we ever felt. I mean this was 10 years ago. The one in my car shifted so good it was like did that go in to second or what. This is what I want to duplicate. Thanks for listining to my story. I'll cut one up and let you know how it workes. I got about 10 or so of them. Check this out I bought a 21 off my boss for 50 bucks cause no matter how slow or fast you try to shift it, it chunks the gear this thing was rebuilt in about 1981 by a trannsmission shop and it never worked correct any opinion would be appreciated.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I'm in the wrong place. Not wanted. Muncie trans no problem. Couple of gears. Just checkin. I got the book petersons how to hot rod Muncie. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.