Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Rich, if you go to the Resto Shop, you'll see an article I put up about grafting the Muncie shifter to a Hurst Comp Plus. Also, I believe it's Corvette Central, has a handle to do this but I do not think it is a correct Chevelle handle but a straight Vette handle.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Rich, if Hinshaws doens;t have it ( call 'em) it would take a good machinist probably 15 minutes of Bridgeport time to make one up. Very very simple block of steel with a pad on top and two holes in the side to mount. Use the Muncie mount as a guide.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Rob, DZ has this mod nailed! To quote, "too easy" and if you can't bend a piece of 3/4" bar stock with your right hand, then you;re OK. And are the Comp Plus's good? I have one that needs rebuilt and the paint guy was sooo impressed ( fellow Chevelle owner ) the first thing he asked me when I stopped by to check progress was how did I get the shifter to feel so positive. Of course, he thought it was an original Muncie POS shifter because of the handle. No Comparison IMO. And if you do Tom's mod, no one will know the dif.

I fact I had a judge appraise my 67 for insurance purposes and he said he NEVER checked the shifter in shows.

Rich, I didn;t have access to a Bridgeport, else I would have done up a block to mate the Muncie handle to the Hurst shifter. As I penciled some plans, you'll notice that the Hurst has two slots cut out of the sides of the mount. I was going to use these to fit the base of the Muncie handle into. You see, the only problem I have with the grafting I did is that the handle is approx 2" higher than it should be. The use of a machined adapter mount would lower the handle, but locate it approx 1/2" to the left, towards the driver.

If you have a machinst friend, or access to a mill ( I do now ) it would be a worthwhile project. Plus, once you got the blueprint, you could probably runs these things off for next to nothing and wheel them for a decent penny.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 12-14-99).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.