Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13,478 Posts
Rich,
Gene and I talked about this mod for a while and then he worked it out for a pre-68 Muncie shifter. I have 68-later cars which have a totally different Muncie shifter. I do the same thing you want to do except I permanently ruin the 68-later Muncie shifter handle for re-installation on an original Muncie shifter. To install an original 68-72 Muncie flat handle on a Hurst shifter, I cut off the angle on the bottom of the handle, drill holes in the handle to match the Hurst and I have factory looks and Hurst performance. Check out Gene's method for pre-68 handles.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
13,478 Posts
Rob,
As I said earlier, when I modify an original 68-72 Muncie handle to fit a Hurst shifter, it is permanently ruined as far as ever being able to bolt back onto a FACTORY Muncie shifter. The factory 68-72 Muncie handle has an angle on the lower end with 2 bolt holes to bolt it to the shifter. I cut this angle off right at the bend. Then after the Hurst shifter is installed and adjusted with the Hurst handle, I remove the Hurst handle and place the Muncie handle next to the the Hurst shifter, mark only ONE hole. After drilling only one hole, I attach the Muncie handle with a bolt and adjust it forward/backward to exactly where I want it to be, then I mark the 2nd hole. Now drill the next hole and bolt it up. Like I said, looks factory, shifts like a Hurst, nobody knows (except me and Gene--------------and my son).

------------------
Tom Parsons

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.