Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago a product was available that allowed Chevelle owners (and other GM owners I'm sure) to adapt those great looking Muncie shifter handles to a Hurst shifter body. I've put the original Muncie shifter back on my 65 SS because it looks right and I plan to show it in stock classes, but I really miss my old Hurst Competition/Plus shifter I used before.

I'm pretty sure most judges would miss the fact that a Hurst is installed if I had the Muncie shifter handle showing.

I saw an adaper available for $15-$20 at one time. It bolted in where the Hurst handle bolts in but it was a short piece with a plate on top that lets the Muncie handle bolt to it to give the result of the Hurst body/Muncie handle. Of course you lose the reverse lockout feature of the Muncie (though the handle still has the spring loaded lock out handle working, it just doesn't activate anything on the Hurst).

Anyway, does anyone know where I can find this adapter and buy one?

·
Super Moderator
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gene,

Okay I see what you've done. But about 10 years ago someone was offering a commercially produced adapter like the one you chopped out of the Muncie shifter and drilled to bolt to the Hurst. I want to find and buy one of those ready-made adapters. Maybe they are no longer available, but they were at one time.

I do not want to mangle my Muncie as I will reinstall it for serious shows, but the rest of the time I'd like to have that Hurst working for me. Maybe I'll come across that adapater yet. I know Hinshaws sold it at one time, but they no longer list it in their catalog.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.