Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago a product was available that allowed Chevelle owners (and other GM owners I'm sure) to adapt those great looking Muncie shifter handles to a Hurst shifter body. I've put the original Muncie shifter back on my 65 SS because it looks right and I plan to show it in stock classes, but I really miss my old Hurst Competition/Plus shifter I used before.

I'm pretty sure most judges would miss the fact that a Hurst is installed if I had the Muncie shifter handle showing.

I saw an adaper available for $15-$20 at one time. It bolted in where the Hurst handle bolts in but it was a short piece with a plate on top that lets the Muncie handle bolt to it to give the result of the Hurst body/Muncie handle. Of course you lose the reverse lockout feature of the Muncie (though the handle still has the spring loaded lock out handle working, it just doesn't activate anything on the Hurst).

Anyway, does anyone know where I can find this adapter and buy one?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Rich, if you go to the Resto Shop, you'll see an article I put up about grafting the Muncie shifter to a Hurst Comp Plus. Also, I believe it's Corvette Central, has a handle to do this but I do not think it is a correct Chevelle handle but a straight Vette handle.

·
Super Moderator
15,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gene,

Okay I see what you've done. But about 10 years ago someone was offering a commercially produced adapter like the one you chopped out of the Muncie shifter and drilled to bolt to the Hurst. I want to find and buy one of those ready-made adapters. Maybe they are no longer available, but they were at one time.

I do not want to mangle my Muncie as I will reinstall it for serious shows, but the rest of the time I'd like to have that Hurst working for me. Maybe I'll come across that adapater yet. I know Hinshaws sold it at one time, but they no longer list it in their catalog.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Rich, if Hinshaws doens;t have it ( call 'em) it would take a good machinist probably 15 minutes of Bridgeport time to make one up. Very very simple block of steel with a pad on top and two holes in the side to mount. Use the Muncie mount as a guide.

·
Registered
12,843 Posts
Rich,
Gene and I talked about this mod for a while and then he worked it out for a pre-68 Muncie shifter. I have 68-later cars which have a totally different Muncie shifter. I do the same thing you want to do except I permanently ruin the 68-later Muncie shifter handle for re-installation on an original Muncie shifter. To install an original 68-72 Muncie flat handle on a Hurst shifter, I cut off the angle on the bottom of the handle, drill holes in the handle to match the Hurst and I have factory looks and Hurst performance. Check out Gene's method for pre-68 handles.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
286 Posts
DZ:

What's the scoop on the later shifter handles? Any directions on how to modify a '70 handle? I just ordered a Hurst Comp Plus shifter...are these any good? I hope so! Anyway, how hard is it going to be to graft a Muncie handle to the Hurst body? Is this the right thing to do? Will it hold up to the abuse (that is, IF I ever get to where I can drive a 4-speed)? Also, any idea of what cars Hurst shifters were available in from the factory?

------------------
Rob Clary
'70 LS-6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold Member #85
Interested in COPOs, Yenkos or other dealer built muscle cars then go here: www.yenko.net

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Rob, DZ has this mod nailed! To quote, "too easy" and if you can't bend a piece of 3/4" bar stock with your right hand, then you;re OK. And are the Comp Plus's good? I have one that needs rebuilt and the paint guy was sooo impressed ( fellow Chevelle owner ) the first thing he asked me when I stopped by to check progress was how did I get the shifter to feel so positive. Of course, he thought it was an original Muncie POS shifter because of the handle. No Comparison IMO. And if you do Tom's mod, no one will know the dif.

I fact I had a judge appraise my 67 for insurance purposes and he said he NEVER checked the shifter in shows.

Rich, I didn;t have access to a Bridgeport, else I would have done up a block to mate the Muncie handle to the Hurst shifter. As I penciled some plans, you'll notice that the Hurst has two slots cut out of the sides of the mount. I was going to use these to fit the base of the Muncie handle into. You see, the only problem I have with the grafting I did is that the handle is approx 2" higher than it should be. The use of a machined adapter mount would lower the handle, but locate it approx 1/2" to the left, towards the driver.

If you have a machinst friend, or access to a mill ( I do now ) it would be a worthwhile project. Plus, once you got the blueprint, you could probably runs these things off for next to nothing and wheel them for a decent penny.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 12-14-99).]

·
Registered
12,843 Posts
Rob,
As I said earlier, when I modify an original 68-72 Muncie handle to fit a Hurst shifter, it is permanently ruined as far as ever being able to bolt back onto a FACTORY Muncie shifter. The factory 68-72 Muncie handle has an angle on the lower end with 2 bolt holes to bolt it to the shifter. I cut this angle off right at the bend. Then after the Hurst shifter is installed and adjusted with the Hurst handle, I remove the Hurst handle and place the Muncie handle next to the the Hurst shifter, mark only ONE hole. After drilling only one hole, I attach the Muncie handle with a bolt and adjust it forward/backward to exactly where I want it to be, then I mark the 2nd hole. Now drill the next hole and bolt it up. Like I said, looks factory, shifts like a Hurst, nobody knows (except me and Gene--------------and my son).

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
321 Posts
guys,

i recently aquired an original muncie handle for a 69 Chevelle with buckets/console. my plan is to graft it to my hurst super comp shifter as well. I'm told that the difference between the 69 handle I have and the 70 handle I need is a slight more bend in the handle toward the driver.

would anyone be interested in a mechanical drawing of what an original 68-72 handle looks like? if the interest is there for archival purposes then i'll do the drawings. i could also include illustrations of how to modify it. let me know.

------------------
??michael j Team Chevelle Gold #77
70 Chevelle SS396 4sp, Fathom Blue/White Stripes - Canadian built

[This message has been edited by michael j (edited 12-15-99).]

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,602 Posts
I have a Hurst CP shifter in my '69 and plan to adapt a Muncie handle to it when and if I find one at a reasonable cost (wanted $100 for one at Super Chevy). My car has buckets-no console. I also plan to install a factory bezel and boot. My problem is the shifter extends above the hump quite a bit. It's 5 1/4" from the top of the hump metal to the center of the top shifter handle mounting hole. This car has had the floorpan (in halves) replaced in the past and there is much cutting and welding evident in the shifter hump area. I'm thinking maybe I need a new hump. It has a large Hurst boot on it now. Can anyone with a '68-72 with 4 sp and no console easily measure theirs so I can compare and see if I need a new hump? von

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.