Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have an original unrestored '70 chevelle with a 4-speed, buckets and NO CONSOLE and the original muncie shifter, I need to talk to you!!! I don't care what the resto manuel or parts books say. I want to speak with someone with an original car that can document their shifter is original and correct as it left the factory. NOTE, bucket seats, 4-speed, NON CONSOLE, original shifter only. thanks, grub

[This message has been edited by grub (edited 03-23-99).]

T

·
0 Posts
Grub,
Please post your questions and answers here. I am very interested in any tidbits because I'm trying to setup the same configuration in my current car (it is not factory).

I also had this factory setup in my '72SS about 15 years ago, but I no longer have that car. If your questions are generic enough, my memory may be enough to answer your questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am interested in knowing the exact shape and part number of the handle for this application, I believe there were 3 different handles used in '70: console, bench, and buckets non console. Saginaw handles would not be stamped MUNCIE. I have a handle with the correct part # according to the resto manuel and was told by a platnium series judge that it was a bench seat handle. I have since bought a handle that was supposed to be correct but it has a wear mark that looks like it could be made by a console slide plate(this handle is very different than a console handle). I know the resto book lists different #'s for '69 and '70, but I recently found a picture of an original road test on a '69 Yenko Chevelle(buckets non console) that showed a handle very similar to a bench seat handle. Now I am truely confused. The handles I have compared between '68 and '70 show only subtle changes with the early ones not showing a part number.

·
Registered
12,841 Posts
This may or may not be of any interest to you, but I ordered a 72 wagon 4sp and still have the COMPLETE drive train in my son's 71 2dr, including the original shift handle that came in the wagon. The tranny is a wide Muncie and the handle is PLAIN, that's right, it's not stamped MUNCIE. It is curved to go over a bench. Now get ready to be sick. I don't know the part number because I cut off the angle on the bottom and threw it away and drilled 2 holes in the handle to match a Hurst shifter. The part number was on the end I cut off and threw away. And I have no regrets except I wish I had the part number.

------------------

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Grub, I finally found a picture of my old '72 SS454/M22/buckets/no console interior. I know that everything was original when I had it. Unfortunately my memory does not serve me too well on this one (15 years ago) and the picture is not crisp.
I can only tell you that there is definitely something written on the shift handle. I can't make out if it says Muncie or Hurst. As for the shape, it comes straight up from the boot and is straight for almost 1/2 way up. At that point the bend is approximately 30 degrees back. White shifter knob.
I know this is a '72, but maybe it is the same as '70. I hope this helps. Tom

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Grub, I finally found a picture of my old '72 SS454/M22/buckets/no console interior. I know that everything was original when I had it. Unfortunately my memory does not serve me too well on this one (15 years ago) and the picture is not crisp.
I can only tell you that there is definitely something written on the shift handle. I can't make out if it says Muncie or Hurst. As for the shape, it comes straight up from the boot and is straight for almost 1/2 way up. At that point the bend is approximately 30 degrees back. White shifter knob.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Ooops. I guess I made my point. My PC would just hang after I hit the "submit" button, so I kept trying. Tom

·
Administrator
16,167 Posts
grub, I have a 70 with an m21 bench seat. I still have the original handle I cut off to use with the hurst linkage. It says Muncie on it and has a black ball with the shift pattern on it and it is curved to fit around the bench seat. I hope this will help eliminate one style for you. I worked at a dealership in 1970 and I believe the console shifter was offset to the right to center it in the console, almost straight with a bend back about 1/2 way up and a slight bend back towards the driver and and the bucket seat non console would be straight with a bend back about 1/2 way up and it would come through the shift boot. Philip

[This message has been edited by 64elcamino (edited 03-30-99).]

[This message has been edited by 64elcamino (edited 03-30-99).]

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
I always thought that Chevy would install the curved shifter to clear the bench seat, and would use the black shift knob with the white embossed shift map. If you got buckets with or without the console you'd get a somewhat straighter lever. The shift ball used would be determined by whether or not the was a console with a shift map on it. If no console, the black shift ball with white embossed map was right, but if there was a console with a shift map, the smooth chrome ball was used. Also, I thought the flat-blade shifter was used '68-'72, and would say 'Muncie' on all 327 hipo (325 horse) and '69 '70 350s, and all larger engines. I also thought that Chevy changed the shift ball for '72 to a soft grained piece. That same ball may have been used on later models as well. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
12,841 Posts
My 72 BB wagon had the curved, PLAIN handle for a bench seat with the grained knob and shift pattern.

------------------

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.