Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just got done rebuilding my second muncie in my life and was wondering....... its all together except for the forks and side plate. should I be able to turn the shaft easy if its in gear? theres no lube in it yet. I can turn it when its in neutrual with a little effort, when i put it in gear its pretty hard to turn by hand. if i put a visegrip on the input shaft and spin it it goes pretty nice. maybe it will loosen up with lube. Just want to make sure before I throw it in. Thanks

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
It shouldn't spin hard in any gear. I'd check to see if there is a synchro ring pressed down onto any of the gears. I've found it's most common on fourth gear. When you are guiding the main shaft down it's possible the ring will get pressed on a little bit if off the bat the keys aren't exactly lined up with the notches in the ring. Try spinning it in all four gears. If you can't tell just by looking at it spinning it in all forward gears will help you determine which ring is stuck.

Or it is possible the rings are just kind of "sticky". The M22 I put together that's in the '70 right now was like that when I first put it together. In neutral it spun over smoothe. When I would put it in gear it would bind up a little bit and make a noise like a couple of the rings were trying to grab but couldn't. I can't really describe the noise. I worked in a litle WD-40 onto the cone of the gears. Cleared the issue up and the transmission has shifted smoothe as can be since I first put it in my car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok when i have it in neutral and I turn the rear shaft, I can spin it easy with two fingers. but when i spin the front shaft its tight. im thinking the counter shaft is dragging a little because theres lots of grease in there from installing the needle bearings?? or the main drive gear(4th) is two tight with the counter shaft gear?? both the main drive gear and the counter shaft are new. I made it into a m20 from a m21. syncros are in proper places and spin nice and free. it really bothers me that I cant spin that front shaft easy. maybe i got a bad countergear or main shaft??

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
So even in neutral the gear set feels a little tight? It's kind of hard to judge tightness over the internet, but it should spin with virtually no resistance. It sounds like your thrust washers may be just a hair too thick.

Going back to the M22 I cobbled together. The first time I drove the cluster gear pin in every thing felt tight. I thought first that I got the tangs of one of the thrust washers out of place. That would cause some interference. I pulled the cluster back out and verified they were in place the right way. Still tight. I pull the cluster for the second time and wiped off the grease I used to hold the washers in place. I saw that there was a burr on the thrust washer surface at the back of the case. Don't know how I missed it the first time, but I did. I used some sand paper and sanded it down flush. I put it together for the third time and it spun over smooth just like it should.

If the synchros aren't grabbing the cone of the gears my guess would be that it's an interference between the cluster gear and thrust washers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Case closed! Well I started to take the tail housing off to look into the tightness problem. I loosened a couple of the bottom bolts and the shaft freed up. magic. Apon further investigating I found that I put two rear thust washers on the idler gear which made it bind with the tail housing. removed one washer and now its perfect. only need one there dummy! guess i didnt see the other one sticking on there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts