Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question. I saw in a previous post of Tom's (DZAUTO) said that when rebuilding a Muncie use a rebuild kit that comes with bearings that has 10 or 11 balls never 8. Does this just go for all year Muncie's? (I know some had a smaller shaft). All the kits I have looked at have 8 balls in the bearings. Also, what should I expect to pay for a rebuild kit with the good stuff? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

------------------
Thomas (AKA Hot66ss)
66 Super Sport Now striped frame off Project
67 Malibu Getting there.
69 El camino Beater Mild 355, M21 4 speed (Daily Driver)
Video of me in the Elco smoking the tires
Aces Member 2380
Team Chevelle member #262

[This message has been edited by Hot66ss (edited 06-04-2001).]

G

·
The good stuff? The largest supplier of Muncie parts in the country sells the 8 ball bearing. You don't suppose they would be selling junk do you???

The real problem is the only maker of the N1307L front bearing now is Federal Mongrel. The bought out BCA and the first thing they did was raise the price of that bearing to over 30 bucks, I think they jobber now at around 40. There in lies the problem, are people willing to pay for the over priced bearing???

The rumor is that once the supply dries up there will not be any more of the 12 ball bearing. You need to remember that all it fits is the Muncie, it has no other application.

The difference in the two bearings boils down to this. The 8 ball units are better able to withstand thrust loads, the load generated by the gear intersect angle. It tries to push the main shaft forward and aft in the trans leading to the center plate bearing grove wallowing out and in some cases failing, and pushing the input forward. In a street driven application the 8 ball unit is better, in a race application the 12 ball unit works better for the high radial loads. There are compromises in everything.

The M22 kind of makes it a mute point. GM built the gear set with less gear intersect angle to reduce the thrust load on the case. The gear set is not as strong as the M20 or the M21, lots of people think it is but in reality it is weaker by design.

The proof of all this is in the serious after market transmission, they use straight cut gears which eliminates thrust loads completely.

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.