Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a reasonable cost to rebuild a M20?

I brought mine to a local shop to see what work would be needed, the trans was part of a project car I bought, I was not able to run it to see what it would or would not do, so I assumed it needed work.

The shop told me it was a worn out tired unit, needed gears, shaft, bearings, shifter forks...etc and gave me a price of $1600 to rebuild it.

Does $1600 seem reasonable for this amount of work?

Thanks
mg

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Let me get this straight, yoiu carried the trans in and that was a quote for a bench job?

The 69 Malibu I have right now came with a 350 trans that the previous owner had rebuilt just before we bought it and paid $1600 Canadian and I thought that was unbelievable as that was ten years ago. I guess I'm surprised that's the going rate at that shop.

To answer your question, I would check with Wally who is the moderator of this part of TC and see what he thinks.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
That seems high IMO, especially a M20.

Kurt

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
MIKE,$1600 IS WAY OUT OFINE.

If the case is ood a complete thurough rbld with all new gears/bearings/syncros/small parts/seals/gaskets/etc should be roughly $800-$1000 for parts & labor and maybe $1200 in an extreem case requiring more work of some sort then a normall complete rbld would require.

But $1600 is out tolunch IMHO.

BTW,i sent you 2-3 email i compiled over time from team chevele posts showing who the team chevelle resident muncie rblr's/gurus are that help al of us out here for you to chk out .

Scott

G

·
What is a reasonable cost to rebuild a M20?

I brought mine to a local shop to see what work would be needed, the trans was part of a project car I bought, I was not able to run it to see what it would or would not do, so I assumed it needed work.

The shop told me it was a worn out tired unit, needed gears, shaft, bearings, shifter forks...etc and gave me a price of $1600 to rebuild it.

Does $1600 seem reasonable for this amount of work?

Thanks
mg

Run Forest run!!!!!

Man, one or two rebuilds like that a month and I could buy more toys.

A new gearset is $600, the rebuild kit $135 plus a pin, sliders $36 each, forks $30 each, man that is a ton of labor cost

WOW, like paul said you can get a new trans for s few more dollars.

·
Registered
13,473 Posts
I agree with all of the above.
I've been rebuilding 4spds for 40+yrs and have never come close to that kind of a price to a customer, even when several of the gears had to be replaced. :noway:

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advise everyone, something did sound wacky, I'm glad that I've asked for advise.

mg

·
Registered
33 Posts
i also live on the south shore and was wondering what shop gave you that price? just so i can have poeple call them to get a price when they think $5-600 i charge is to much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts