Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are many topics related to Muncie transmissions, but I am having a difficult time locating a clip to retain the speedo gear in the rear of transmission. Can anyone help ? It is a small clip which holds the plastic gear in place. Thanks. Greg

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
DZAuto is one of the Muncie experts in here, hopefully he will respond. Otherwise you can maybe search for his email address. He always seems willing to help.

Good luck.

------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan

·
Registered
13,123 Posts
Well, I don't know what happened, I posted this last night and it's not here. How strange. I'll check the part number and post it again tonight.
By the way that 1373122 sounds like the same number that I posted last night, and it is still a good number in the Chev parts dept.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
sorry wrong part

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
Goals are dreams with deadlines.
Maryland Chevelle Club

[This message has been edited by chev64 (edited 02-27-2001).]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom, the part number you sent to me was to my e-mail request. The part number you gave me was 6261781 from a Chev parts dept. I did not have a chance yet to call Chevy parts, but I will tomorrow. Please verify part. Also, Dan, I do not know about 1966 model, but my 69 ss with M21 trans has one, I assume that all M21's would have this clip.
Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
38 Posts
The speedo clip was originally used on some Muncies from 1968-70. Part number 6261781 is listed in the parts book for 1971-75. That part number will allow the gear to move back and forth about an 1/8" on the shaft. Here is a picture of the two clips. http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=867100&a=6307608&p=42226656&Sequence=1&res=high
The one on the left is the 626... clip and the one on the right is the 137... clip. The dealer will most likely have to order the part.

You could also use a steel speedo gear and forget about the nylon speedo gear and clip, just make sure to buy the right size for the driven gear you will be using Hope it helps.

[This message has been edited by secndgn (edited 02-27-2001).]

·
Registered
13,123 Posts
Thanks for the clip pictures. I told Greg in an email that there may be 2 clips, and sure enough.

Dan,
As mentioned earlier, the 69-later trannys have a little hole for the clip and the speedo drive gear changed from pressed on steel to slip on/clip on plastic. Each has there good and bad points. The steel is the best because it won't wear out, but it is pressed on and is more difficuld to remove. Whereas the plastic gear is super to remove, but, it doesn't wear as well as steel. So, pick your poison.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys, thanks a lot for your help. I checked the plastic Gear and it is in very good shape, showing no wear. I have ordered the clip from GM, but guess what ? They tell me that they cannot get the transmission gasket to the transmission case extension. I am checking with Mr. Gasket, I think they have the gasket and rear seal as a kit. Thanks for all of your help. This site is great. Greg.

·
Registered
13,123 Posts
Greg,
If you need to, you can run a little bead of RTV around the mating surfaces,

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Ok-ok, I mistakenly thought this post centered around the plastic DRIVEN gear - the one that slips into the small o-ringed housing which then slips into the tail shaft.

Turns out this is all about the DRIVE gear.

Knowing my drive gear is steel, when I heard "plastic" I assumed driven. Then I recalled that there's NO clip retaining the plastic driven gear on my M20. The alarm bells in my brain started going off and smoke issued forth from my ears.

At least I can see how I was confused!

Learn something new every day here. No wonder I'm addicted.

Dan

------------------
Awww, fer cyrin out loud, there's that IMPALA guy again.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/ss3964spd?d&.flabel=fld1&.src=ph

·
Registered
38 Posts
The gaskets are still available from the dealer. Perhaps he did not want to look them up. The the rear bearing retainer and extension gaskets are 3911900(front) and 3911901(rear)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SECNDGN, thanks a lot for your updates on gasket and seal. You are probably correct on the dealer comment. When I called them, they responded a little too quick to say that they cannot supply parts. I know computer loopups can be fast, but I believe that the 'dealer' could not have possibly typed the part numbers in as fast as he responded. Thanks again, I will go to GM later today. Also, I cannot seem to access the pitcures you referenced about the speedo clips, their sight says that they may be down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DZAUTO, FYI. I recieved all parts I needed. Some part numbers have changed at GM;
The clip is: 1373122
The Transmission rear seal is: 8673526.
The Rear transmission Gasket is: 10140564

Thanks to all for your help.

Greg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.