Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I've recently began noticing a shifting issue as of yesterday morning. When I shift from 2nd to 3rd the shifter doesn't want to go in 3rd. I hear grinding like it wants to go in but can't. Naturally I do not force it into gear but curiousity has me try it again. Usually it will go into 3rd by the second attempt. I can shift from 1-2-4 without problems but when I shift up or down into 3rd that's when I hear the grinding.

I've read quite a few posts about shifting problems specifically the 3rd gear problems. I'd aligned the shifter and tightened up the slop in the rods last August but will be double checking this again. Do you know of any issue that this may be?

I'm running a Luk clutch, new GM clutch fork, Lakewood scattershield, and an original Muncie shifter.

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
syncros.

G

·
Hey Guys,

I've recently began noticing a shifting issue as of yesterday morning. When I shift from 2nd to 3rd the shifter doesn't want to go in 3rd. I hear grinding like it wants to go in but can't. Naturally I do not force it into gear but curiousity has me try it again. Usually it will go into 3rd by the second attempt. I can shift from 1-2-4 without problems but when I shift up or down into 3rd that's when I hear the grinding.

I've read quite a few posts about shifting problems specifically the 3rd gear problems. I'd aligned the shifter and tightened up the slop in the rods last August but will be double checking this again. Do you know of any issue that this may be?

I'm running a Luk clutch, new GM clutch fork, Lakewood scattershield, and an original Muncie shifter.
Make sure the stock shifter is working, correctly. Down shifting from fourth to third could be several things, most common if it is the trans would be syncros or the slider/clutch and or a combo of those things and worn shift forks.

Stock shifters are not the best thing when new unless your car has a GM Hurst shifter with the different handle.

Worst thing it could be is the gear itself, the engagement teeth are badly worn.

But, until you have a look inside or find a external problem, this is all guessing:yes::yes:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Guys,

I have noticed that it's not only a 3rd gear shifting problem. It seems to happen most when the clutch pedal is depressed. Last night my wife and I had to return some tires to Costco since our Expedition was on a lift with no tires we were forced to take the Chevelle. As I'm sitting at a stop light in 1st gear with clutch pedal pushed the noise started. I bumped the shifter into nuetral to see if it stopped and it did. When the light turned green I shifted back into first and took off it didn't appear to do it again until I pressed down on the clutch to shift. Even when I was slowing down at another stop light and shifting down through the gears I only heard the noise, not grinding this time, when the clutch pedal was pressed down.

My setup is a rebuilt 454, internally balanced, with a reground 11 inch flywheel. A new blowproof scattershield, a new Luk clutch, new GM clutch fork, and a used shifter. The transmission wasn't rebuilt or new because it was working fine during the time I was building the car.

I am new to 4 speed transmissions but I'm thinking my problem is within the clutch fork, throwout bearing, or clutch. This noise only seems to be happening with clutch pedal pressed whether I'm idling at a light or trying to shift.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The noise is the throwout bearing, but that shouldn't effect 3rd gear only. The shifting prob is more than likely 3rd gear syncro, worn shifter, or shift fork.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts