Team Chevelle banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 chevelle malibu, with a 327/350HP engine and muncie 4 spd that came with the chevelle. I believe the shifter is stock for the corvette. the shaft of the shifter itself is very short, and hits the drivers seat when going into second gear. I don'b believe that the shifter is hurst, because the shifter goes directly into the linkage - not the standard two bolts on top of the linkage to change out the shifter.

my question is, if i were to replace the entire assembly, would i buy the assembly for the chevelle or corvette?

Also, curious if muncie made trannys specifically for vehicle such as chevelles and corvettes - the reason why the shifter is so far back in the tunnel from where it should be.

thanks,

·
Premium Member
4,585 Posts
I have a 66 chevelle malibu, with a 327/350HP engine and muncie 4 spd that came with the chevelle. I believe the shifter is stock for the corvette. the shaft of the shifter itself is very short, and hits the drivers seat when going into second gear. I don'b believe that the shifter is hurst, because the shifter goes directly into the linkage - not the standard two bolts on top of the linkage to change out the shifter.

my question is, if i were to replace the entire assembly, would i buy the assembly for the chevelle or corvette?

Also, curious if muncie made trannys specifically for vehicle such as chevelles and corvettes - the reason why the shifter is so far back in the tunnel from where it should be.

thanks,
ASAIK the only difference on the trans would be the shifter mounting plate.All the transmissions were the same except they had the 10/27 and a 26/32 input/output.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the M20 in my 67 Malibu. Topped by the famous Hurst Competition Plus shifter linkage, shifter, handle.

I would recommend you take a look at this very popular set-up.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Find out for sure what shifter you have. If it is a Hurst unit, they make many different shifter arms and you MIGHT be able to just change it our, without changing anything else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts