Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey team,
I have a customer that is installing a 700R4 in a 68 that was originally a stick car. The ONLY question I have is if anyone has done this swap and found a shifter that will work in the original 4speed console without a whole bunch of modifications needed ?
Everything else is under control, just need to know about the shifter.
Thanks in advance,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
501 Posts
Joe, What kinda stuff you looking for? How about the transmission?? is it for sale? hehehe I need a spare. Sorry I can not contribute to the worthyness of this post

·
Premium Member
15,332 Posts
Bill,

For a shifter to put in the console he can use a stock auto shifter with a modified shiftgate. Can't remember which vendor sells it but I believe our sponsor is selling the shifter. As you probably already figured out the hole in the floor for the 4 speed shifter might need a cover of some sort(console wise the base is the same manual vs auto for 68). Also whoever sells the shiftgate mechanism I believe also has a modified indicator plate for the console. I had been thinking about this for my Blue SS but I can't find anyone who will guarantee a 700 to hold up to my big block for more than few 1/4 mile passes. Another Idea might be an aftermarket shifter like a B&M pro stick I am using one in my stock console mounted on a 2 in solid block of aluminum to utilize the stock hole in the shift plate. By using the auto plate instead of the manual the shifter might also clear the hole in the floor since the auto shifter sits farther back in the console. The B&M(p/n80701) is available for a 4speed if you buy the extra gate plate(p/n 80712). Hope this helps and good luck

------------------
Jeff Angerstein
ACES#841 TCG#158 CECCO #16
68 SS396(roller 454)
68 Pro Street
69 SSRS 396(427) 4spd
87 MC SS

My Chevs
OLD BLUE ([email protected])
(10 second motor in a 14 second chassis)

G

·
Bill,

I have a 69 chevelle that was auto now 4 spd. I have what I believe is the stock horseshoe shifter (3 spd) with mounting bracket and cable. It came with the car and I also have a console shift plate and lens. I don't know if this is the complete setup or not. The chrome is in fair shape (minor scratches and minor pitting). I'll let it go for $75 plus shipping and handling. If your interested email me at [email protected] or call on (914) 741-7547 (B) or aft 6pm (914) 737-3299.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think if he goes with a console automatic shifter he might need a stand or support for the shifter itself. When i swapped from a saignaw the a 350 i mounted the shifter to the floor. The console isn't supported well enough for an automatic. This is what i was told but i have a manual valve body so the shifter is going to take some abuse... Just a heads up. Chris alston make shifter stands for like 50 bucks but i dont know if they'll fit under the console or how many mods will have to be made…

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.