Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, question about my Muncie 4 speed. Was the muncie trannys painted silver or left bare aluminum.

Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,455 Posts
:cool: There is a rattle can paint called "Cast Coat Aluminum" that looks perfect (especially when you're not really going to see the transmission). Dupil-Color Engine Enamel Ceramic #DE1650. Your local auto parts store will have it or they can order it.

FYI: There's also a color called "Aluminum" that is a slightly different shade: Dupil-Color Engine Enamel Ceramic #DE1615. I've used one on the bellhousing and the other on the transmission because I dislike everything being one shade, that just looks fake.

No doubt VHT makes similar products.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
:cool: There is a rattle can paint called "Cast Coat Aluminum" that looks perfect (especially when you're not really going to see the transmission). Dupil-Color Engine Enamel Ceramic #DE1650. Your local auto parts store will have it or they can order it.
Seeing is believing. Would like to see side by side pics one painted with this stuff next to a correctly restored Muncie case.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I "Brillo pad" aluminum parts in hot water after bead blasting, closes the metal back down do dirt, ils, greases wipe right off, no coatings to degrade over time.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried using paint stripper and working it with a disposable paint brush and steel wool, then wiping it down with a rag, comes out nice.

·
Premium Member
13,058 Posts
Depends on the direction you are going with your car. Correct restoration? Daily driver, not numbers matching? Again, its your car, so do to it what makes you happy!!!

·
Registered
12,883 Posts
When engines were built, the bell housing was attached and some or all of it got painted along with the engine (depending on the hourly wage earner that was painting engines at the time).
I always clean and leave the bell housing unpainted. I also prefer to thoroughly clean and degrease the transmission and leave it natural. I use a very strong degreaser and a power washer connected to hot water (my water heater is turned up to the max). IF and only IF, there are some stubborn areas, I many very lightly blast them before using the degreaser and power washer.
The main case of a Muncie is sand cast. The side cover and tail housing is die cast. Thus, they have a totally different finished appearance, which MANY people just do not understand.

DSCN0949.JPG

DSCN0955.JPG

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
For those darker alum pieces as Tom shows, I actually prefer Seymours SS paint. Matte clear on most lighter bare alum.

Nice bench jig Tom!

·
Registered
12,883 Posts
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice bench jig Tom!
Gene,
That fixture is an antique KENT MOORE fixture for dealers, which was originally specifically for holding 55-64 style Chevy rearends and PG trannys. I added holes to use it for holding manual trannys. I bought it for $10 it from an old man that once worked in a Chevy service dept (he was their PG expert), and no longer had any use for it. I think I got my money's worth out of it.

DSCN0956.JPG

This is a 56 3spOD I rebuilt several years ago. Took me a whild to remember how to do one!
0351246-R1-024-10A.jpg

100_0797.JPG

100_0799.JPG

Peter hall 3.08 posi conv (1).JPG

Reactions: SFD

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Gene,
That fixture is an antique KENT MOORE fixture for dealers, which was originally specifically for holding 55-64 style Chevy rearends and PG trannys. I added holes to use it for holding manual trannys. I bought it for $10 it from an old man that once worked in a Chevy service dept (he was their PG expert), and no longer had any use for it. I think I got my money's worth out of it.

This is a 56 3spOD I rebuilt several years ago. Took me a whild to remember how to do one!
Tom,

Would you consider letting that fixture go for $20? You'll be doubling your money! :ROFLMAO:;)

·
Registered
12,883 Posts
Tom,

Would you consider letting that fixture go for $20? You'll be doubling your money! :ROFLMAO:;)
I gotta give that offer some thought----------------------------------OK, I thought about it----------------------------NO.

·
Premium Member
7,217 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts