Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70 chevelle with a 69 396 motor. It has a turbo 350 trans w/ console and floor shifter. I think that I want to convert to a 4 speed this winter. I am also looking not to spend a lot, since I just put the motor in this past spring.

I have read the tech archives, but still have a few questions.

1. If I used a muncie, would the drive shaft or crossmember have to be modified.

2. Muncie, saginaw or borg warner? You choose.

3. Would I have to use a stock chevelle shifter for it to work inside the console.

4. I have a '79 chevy pickup at work (that is going to the junkyard) with a 4 speed and stock 350 motor. Are there any parts that will work. Flywheel,linkage, bellhousing? Doesn't make sense to buy parts, if I already have them.

5. How do you check out a transmission if you buy it at a swap meet. Also how do you know what gears it has. What was stock first gear for a chevelle.

6. Last question. Is it a lot more work to put a 5 speed from an 80's camaro. Can it be done or is that ridiculous.

Sorry for so many questions on one page. If you get bored just answer a couple of them. Thanks guys. You are always very helpful.

[This message has been edited by monkeyboy (edited 08-08-2001).]

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm trying a conversion in my 71 Chevelle.

I don't think there is a way to do it with a muncie for less then a $1000.00. I've been watching daily for parts myself for the last few months. I have not found many muncie's for sale less then $500.00. The saginaws are cheap but not a great tranny. They are all over for little of nothing. I'm trying a saginaw as I have one I picked up cheap. The console parts are pricier then I thought they would be, for $200- $300 bucks you can convert an automatic console to a standard or buy a refurbished. The pedals, linkage, bellhousing and flywheel are a few hundred more.

I also have a truck bellhousing. It seems to bolt up to the tranny and motor? I'm wondering if it will work as well in my car? I'd check the truck tranny to see what type it is? I'd keep the motor & tranny. You can always sell off the parts.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
1. Driveshaft yes, Crossmember no if you use a Hurst Comp+ shifter. If you use a stock shifter yes.

2. Muncie

3. No, use a Hurst Comp+ for a Chevelle. Go to www.mrgasket.com tey have a .pdf that lists all the stock numbers for the different shifters.

4. Flywheel would bolt up, but you want to make sure it's the 14" one, it may be on a truck application. Bellhousing should work. Linkage definitely no.

5. Know what you're looking for first. I suggest Chevrolet By the Numbers by Alan Colvin, you can get it at Barnes' and Noble, he has a very good chapter on muncies and Identifying them. Best thing you can do is remove the sidecover and look for anything unhealthy, broken/chipped teeth etc. not much else you can do without disassembling it. EXPECT to have to rebuild it, better safe than sorry.

6. Probably, though I'm not sure. I wouldn't screw with that....

$1000 is what it cost me to do my conversion.
Having done this conversion myself very recently, feel free to email me with any questions. DZAUTO is a expert in Muncies and this conversion. I'm sure he will be adding his comments soon too.

------------------
Dave Vanderputten
1970 Chevelle Malibu 307 (In Progress)
TC# 867
ACES# 3967
http://daves70.freeservers.com

·
Registered
501 Posts
My driveshaft from TH 350 swapped into the muncie, as did the orig crossmember. I had to grind off a peice of the metal tranny mount to clear the reverse shifter linkage, but thats it.
5 speed out of camaros suck, and you will frag it.
Get a muncie and a Hurst competition plus shifter.
Do a search on Ebay for Jetboatbill, and ask him if he has any muncie trannys for sale.
I bought mine rebuilt from him with a shifter for 750 bones shipped to my door. Very good Deal IMO!

The parts off the truck will work, but will not be correct. snatch the ball stud for the Z bar out of the motor, and get the bellhousing, and flywheel and clutch parts. All this will fit, but not be correct.
You will have to find the correct pedals for your car, and the clutch rod, Z bar, adjusting rod, clutch fork, and Throw out bearing.

Any more questions?

------------------
350 TBI EFI 4speed 12bolt 3.73's
Bench Blue w/black inter. [email protected]
"UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!" Beldar

My 69 Chevelle

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Englishtown's swap meet in New Jersey is this sept. And the truck will be apart by then. I went to a few junk yards around the area, they just laugh at me. Anything 1982 or older doesn't seem to exist in this area.

·
Registered
13,323 Posts
Most everything is covered.
ALL BBs use the larger 14in diameter flywheels. The 454 flywheels have an added weight on one side of the flywheel for balance purposes.
Chances are that the flywheel on the truck 350 is the big 14in version and WILL NOT have the extra weight. Therefore it will be a bolt on fit. IF, JUST IF, the starter ring gear teeth on the flywheel are kind of chewed up, no need to replace it. Just tap off the ring gear (pay VERY close attention to which way it is on). Then place the ring gear in the kitchen oven at the highest temp and long enough to thoroughly heat it up and then quickly tap it back onto the flywheel and let it cool and shrink for a tight fit. Now you have fresh teeth for the starter to engage.

By the way, 55-85 flywheels all will interchange. The 86-later engines changed to a one piece rear main seal and the rear crank flange/bolt pattern also changed. So 85-older and 86-newer flywheels WILL NOT interchange. Also, keep in mind that SB400 and 454 flywheels have an added weight for balance purposes. Therefore, they are unique to those engines, even though they will physically bolt up. For example, if you bolt a 350 flywheel to a 454 crank, and start the 454, it will vibrate terribly because it doesn't have that extra balance weight.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have 2 muncie m20's for sale.They are not
rebuilt units but look in good shape from
what you can see without taking them apart.
They are $300 each.I am a half hour from Boston.My email address is [email protected].I will throw in a hurst linkage and shifter that will work but
are not correct for a chevelle.
Tony

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.