Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stupid simple question but my munci has a leak (dont' they all) and i need to add some fluid, what do i use??

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site
(OO=ss=OO)

·
Registered
501 Posts
I use Mobil 1 Synthetic in my muncie, and my differential.

------------------
350 TBI EFI 4speed 12bolt 3.73's
Bench Blue w/black inter. [email protected]
"UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!" Beldar

My 69 Chevelle

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
John,
do a search on this subject, this has been debated at great length, but it seems the general consences is that synthetic in Muncies makes them prone to being noisy, and also makes them harder to shift, I have not found any info anywhere that recomends using synthetic in Muncies, I have been using 80W-90 gear lube for 30 years, have never had a problem,

------------------
A Man And His Chevelle!
It's A Beautiful Thing.

My66SS

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CP, i had converted to a 2004r in my last chevelle (70 malibu) sold it a while back and bought my current true SS car

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site
(OO=ss=OO)

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>but it seems the general consences is that synthetic in Muncies makes them prone to being noisy, and also makes them harder to shift, I have not found any info anywhere that recomends using synthetic in Muncies, I have been using 80W-90 gear lube for 30 years, have never had a problem,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smart trany to know that its synthetic in there. Muncie's are noisey to start with, expecially the M22. Actually the synthetic would be much better for any transmission but not in any leaker. I have seen 4-speeds that were hard as hell to shift and when synthetic was installed it worked perfectly. I know if you go to the local trans expert here and tell him, 'my standard shift trans is hard shifting', thats the first thing he will do is install synthetic. He told me that years ago, he was getting a lot of Saab 4-speeds with shifting problems in cold weather, at that time only AMSOIL was marketing synthetic 80W-90 lubes. After tearing apart a few trannys and not finding anything wrong, he installed the synthetic and the problem was gone forever. Only thing is cost him business because the Saab dealer was able to do this themselves. 9 out of 10 trys it would not go into 2nd gear, after the synthetic was installed in shifted smoothly and perfectly every time. Not one customer ever came back with the problem again.

G

·
Nothing like comparing apples and oranges. That Saab trans is a top loader design with shift rails. On its best day with Amsoil or swamp **** , it won't shift as smooth as a Muncie with regular gear oil. They are completely different animals.

If a Muncie does anything good, it is shift with little or no effort. As for the noise, the M22 is the noise maker but an M20 or M21 with good bearings and 80/90 gear oil is quite.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Maybe a trans overhaul is cheaper?. These old car are expensive to repair and buy parts for, I for one am going to use the best I can get, not matter the price. Would not catch me putting that 89 a qt gear lube in my car.

I have had AMSOIL ATF in my 1964 Impala trans since 1988.

btw-AMSOIL 80W-90 synthetic Gear Lube only costs $7.55 a qt, not $12.00.

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
Until General Motors recomends something other than 80W-90 gear lube I'm staying with it. DZAUTO you out there? you are the Muncie Man, what do you say?

Rocky Hill

------------------
A Man And His Chevelle!
It's A Beautiful Thing.

My66SS

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
Wally,
I'm not trying to sell you any oil, I just get a little tired of people saying that synthetics won't work in a Muncie. Maybe the bad synthetics don't, but Amsoil and Mobile 1 are very good oils. They don't deserve the bad rep that the others have caused. By the way, it isn't $12 a quart, it's about $7.50.

G

·
I'm down with the standard gear oil. I use Mobil 1 in my new truck, in the vette and will no doubt use it in the chevelle motor. But the 4 speed and the rear will get regular gear oil.

The cost is not even the issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.