Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read a post and it reminded me that I have to do some checking out of my electrical recharging system this spring my Camaro. I was planning on investing in one of these so I always have the tool available and not have to go out an borrow one from work or from a buddy. My plan was to get an induction type for ease of use. Any input on the accuracy of this type and things to look for and/or features that are imperative would be appreciated. Also, units to stay away from, etc.

Hope this doesn't belong in Electrical...If so, Dean, feel free to move

Thanks,

Mytmouse

------------------
67 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi Butternut Yellow w/Black Vinyl
68 RS Z/28 302 350+Hp? 4sp 4:10 Posi, Euro Red on Black
70 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi, Black on Black

Mytmouse A.K.A. Robert Stacho
ACES Member # 04359

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mytmouse, I would get a Fluke with an inductive amp clamp. Mine is a Fluke 78 with the clamp and it has held up in a diesel shop for years. www.fluke.com
Chris

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't know a whole lot about meters, but I know that I have a Fluke brand....it is very nice, reliable, and you can almost run the thing over without breaking it. I don't know the cost because I inherited it from my brother, but I think it is under $100

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a Fluke 77 I use at work has auto scale so you just put it on volts, amps, ohms connect up the leads. The inductive type I've never used before, I think they only read volts only but don't quote me. Just seems like something that could break. Not always easy to get that thing around a wire under your dash either. I also have a Radio Shack digital that you have to set the scale on that works fine too. You can probibly spend get a decent one for $50.00 or less. I know Fluke even has one with a tach and is quite expensive. Bottom line is what your going to use it for and how much your giong to use it. I would get a digital read out though, makes it easier to read quicker.

------------------
Tom Donaldson
71' GMC Sprint

·
Registered
666 Posts
You can't go worng with a Fluke. I have a Fluke 79 series and love it. All the Flukes I have used work great, I use the 79 for PC work also, it's not based for cars, but it can be used (depends on what you are measuring).

------------------
383 SBC 69 Chevelle 410HP/500Ft.lbs
Citrus Heights, CA
Team Chevelle Member #1070
http://www.x86Racing.com (Daves Pics)

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
My opinion. Flukes are great and there are better ones. What do I use on the car. El Cheapo. I have an analog (meter) and a digital. Neither one is worth $10.00. Last one I bought from Harbor Freight was $5.00. If I drop it or blow it up, well...
BTW
These are not rated to play around in the house service panel with.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Just about everybody at work has fluke meters. I had a tectronics because I wanted a small auto range but somebody liked it more than me now I'm looking at the new flukes. They are worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
For auto electical work, almost any multimeter will work. Unless you're going to be troubleshooting electronic circuitry where voltage measurements are very critical, don't overspend. $50 will get you a decent meter for most automotive purposes. If I need to work on the electrical system of the Chevelle, I usually drag out my trusty old Simpson 260.
I also carry a piece of crap 10 dollar meter in the trunk tool box for "just in case" use on the road.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
568,000+ miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Registered
135 Posts
I vote for the Simpson 260.

------------------
The ongoing saga of the MALIBRUISER 70 SS fake
MALIBRUISER

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Being a consummate "non-professional" all I can add is stay away from cheap analog if you do any work on modern cars. Have heard they can muck up some of the cpu circuitry. While not on par with some of the pro models mentioned here, my elcheapo $20 Radio Shack digital is small and works fine for my purposes. ( usually checking my charging crcuit since the stock guage SUCKS!). But like any tool, overbuy for future use or you'll end up buying again. Not the way to save a few piasters.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I just though I'd mention to get an autoranging meter. Just set it to VAC, VDC, or ohms and connect. It eliminates the dial with 20 different scale settings on it.

We use Fluke meters at work exclusively. We haven't had one fail in the 6 years I've been there (we probably have 15 there). You can even put them to 600VAC in resistance mode without killing them. Amazing really, when you consider cheap meters can literally blow apart if you try this.

An excellent and yet fairly cheap meter for volts and ohms is the Fluke 10. It's probably all you'd ever need. You can also add a current probe to it to measure currents, such as alternator output.

Peter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.