Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
I have a chevy 283
I love the sounds the drag cars make, anything that will get me close to that?
This is your greatest problem.
A big cube BB will sound totally different from a small cube SB with the same muff's. Here is a link to the Purple Hornies click Its on a f#@d truck but you'll get the idea.

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Glass packs sound like what every confederate flag waving ******* has on his 4 wheel drive pick up truck.

Drag cars run high compression and open headers.....I'd think the closest you'd get would be a pair of Ultraflows, not to mention they actually allow the engine to exhale better than alot of other muffs on the market.

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
I run Flow-Pros on mine with x-pipe and 2-1/2" out to the back. Sounds a little tougher than Flowmaster.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well now the question is money. Got a ticket the other day (not for speeding) now I need to spend 200 which i had for exhaust on that. I think im going to go old school with thison and get the purple hornies and bolt them straight to my heders. I really dont have the money for much else right now. I need to install some sort of exhaust along with my headers b/c i told my school that is what i was going to do for a project, that we have to do in order to graduate. Its too late to change the project nd now im stuck in a hole. How loud will they sound, glasspacks directly to the header?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Well now the question is money. Got a ticket the other day (not for speeding) now I need to spend 200 which i had for exhaust on that.
What kind of ticket did you get for $200, if not speeding? Was it in a school zone?

You're young, you live in a small town, I'm sure you drive the car like you stole it, it's and old and cool car:thumbsup: .... Basically what I'm saying is you are a target. If you put glasspacks directly behind the headers, you can count on getting pulled over about once a week. The cops will know you in a hurry, if they don't already.

Get some of the name brand mufflers and be happy with them. If money is the issue get the Summit turbo mufflers, they will be fine for a while.

You're asking at least once a week what mod you should do next. The headers were a good one, your best bang for the buck mods you should do now are a 4 bbl carb and intake (don't remember if you have or did that one yet), different cam, and some new gears in the rear. Then save up and get a 4 or 5 speed trans. and be happy with it. Your car with these changes would be an awsome car for a high school kid.

You'll have plenty of time in the future to do your turbo, big block, funny car, or whatever else upgrades.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the ticket wasnt for speeding thank god. I had a tailight that wasnt working and had 4kids under 20 in my car. 2 101$ tickets, rattled the wriring and the tailight came back on. Was working before i left my house :mad: , cop was being a real jerk and told me i didnt diserve my car. Then i told him i paid for every cent of this car and showed him the pictures i left in my glove box. Then ripped to pieces of paper and handed them to me. I ask so many questions b/c i dont want to have to do alot of things twice on my car. But now i dont have enough money for dual exhaust. I only have 50 bucks left and i need to install my headers for the school project. I wont have the glasspacks on long but just long enough so i can complete this school project. Are there and noise reducers i could install between the header and glasspack?

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
i payed $200 for this system, 3 inch all the way out, cut outs with summit turbos, they are so cheap i dont even remember how much they are, like 15 bucks or 18 bucks i dont even know but they sound great and i wouldnt buy anything but a turbo muffler.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I have a question why are glasspacks so much louder when on the header compared to halfway down the car? Does the distance make that much of a diffrence?
Yes, it does make a difference. The further away the mufflers are, the quieter they usually are. If you could swing a 18" or 24" piece of exhust pipe, then put the mufflers at the end of that it would help. Be aware that you will likely not be legal with this setup. Most states require that the exhaust exit in front of the wheels, but behind the doors, or at least over the rear end and have turn downs minimum.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Depends on your local laws. Here in Texas I'm pretty sure to be "legal" it either has to exit from under the vehicle behind the door, or has to go over the axle then have turn downs. Maybe someone else will have more info.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I've got a big block 402 in my 71, and run Hooker headers and Flowmaster 40 series mufflers, what a sweet sound

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
Blake. Go to pep boys or advance auto. You can get 4 3 foot sections of straight pipe, two 45* elbows for about $20 to $30. Connect 2 sections to the headers, Then the mufflers. Connect the 45's to the back of the muff's and the other straights out to the side of the car.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok so i asked around and the purple hornie glass packs bolted to the headers would be legal in my state. But know i have a diffrent problem. I have a set of headman headers, which i like and are nice, but they have the ball and socket flang welded onto them like all heademan headers. Now the purple hornies arnt set up to bolt to ball and socket flang headers are they? I called summit ready to order and then the sales rep and I realized the problem. Can someone help me out with how to solve this problem. I cant weld and dont have the money to pay someone to. :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts