Team Chevelle banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother called me this morning, He had installed a new msd box on his 48 chev pickup.It has a 350 mildly worked with hei ignition . followed all instrucions in the kit and the engine started right up . The problem is when he puts it under load to say 3000 rpm it seems to really labour it fuluters like it has a rev limiter on it but it is just a 6a box he said the headers got red hot also . He rechecked everthing and seems to be in order, could someone chime in and maybe give me a lead to were to look before I go there and take a look at it. Im thinking there is a problem with the box itself Im sure someone has run into this. Thanks Ralph

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody out there did I post this in the wrong place? :(

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
hot headers can be a timing issue. retarded timing may be the culprit. he might want to check that out. i have a 6a box and love it.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I have a 6A box in my Elky with an HEI>>>>NO PROBLEMS!!!!!
I also have a 6AL box in the Velle with MSD's Billet dist.>>>>NO PROBLEMS!!!!!!
I would check the timing AND the vaccum advance. If it is pulling the advance in to soon it will cause it to flutter like you stated.
Pull the vaccum hose off the advance canister on the dist. and see if THAT fixes it. My MSD dist. gave me a problem like that (fluttering at 3000 rpms) turned out it was pulling to much vaccum advance.
Brian

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys thanks for the leads will check them out. I never had a problem with mine it works great for me also.Brian you said you had the fluter problem at 3000 rpm how did you fix that problem . Thanks Ralph

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
you had the fluter problem at 3000 rpm how did you fix that problem
I disconnected the vaccum advance.
Either that or I could have put on an adjustable one.
That's the problem with HEI dist., GM put different vaccum advance canisters on 'em through the years. One might advance less or more then another. So if it's not the right one for that motor, it will affect the timing. Mine just happened to be an after market dist. that pulled to much timing with the factory canister.
Hope I didn't confuse ya....I know I am!!!

Brian

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brian I guess that explains why i did'nt have a problem with mine. I dont have a vac advance on my car so it worked fine from the moment it was installed. Thanks again for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts