Chevelles.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summit msd system..is there a light that will pley with this system thats not $300+ bux?
Tired of guessing where this thing sits, being cheap I guess.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
OK, well, lots of bad info floating around on "Dial Back" timing lights.

Dial back is a feature to rectify electronic fuel injection system computer timing functions, that HAVE COMPUTER COMPUTATION LAG TIMES, NOT FOR ANALOG SYSTEMS WITH MECHANICAL, VACUUM ADVANCES, as analog systems have NO COMPUTER LAG TO CORRECT.

And, in the 4 plus decades I have been working on cars, carbs, ignition systems, I have NEVER seen a computer lag in an analog system, EVER, so, all that hooey about "Dial Back works on all systems", is just plain pure horse hockey.

So, for your MSD sysem, if it is NOT a digital tming setup, NO DIAL BACK< put a timing tape on the dampener and leave the dial baco OFF. IF it is a digital timing system inside the MSD box, and the distributor is fully "locked out", fine, dial back is for YOU.

·
Registered
11,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
one I have now is a crafstman, never use the dial back its at 0. Mark is all over the place....dances some at lower rpm and as it goes up the marks move around more. Cam enplay is good, guessing its the light. Cant get a good read or guess on it.
dist is not locked out, hear some day definitely, others say it will knock..who knows.
stick, low gears 82 deg overlap has some compression. Strip car on the st

·
Registered
35 Posts
Summit msd system..is there a light that will pley with this system thats not $300+ bux?
Tired of guessing where this thing sits, being cheap I guess.
Thanks
A MSD-technician in the MSD-Forum stated somewhere, that with Capacitive-Discharge systems, no dial-back timing light should be used, because - as Dave states - it cannot be guaranteed that it wont show a wrong value, due to the high currents in the wires, "confusing" the timing light..

With non Capacitive-Discharge Systems, thats another story..

·
Premium Member
6,486 Posts
I have this
Works with msd decent price self-powered.

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,222 Posts
Keep the clamp on pick up away from other plug wires and separate the plug wire that you are on away from the other wires. It takes very little signal to trigger the timing light. You are seeing signal from another wire nearest the pickup or other wires that are running parallel to the wire that you are on.

·
Premium Member
10,528 Posts
I have both a Snap On digital Light and an MSD Light. I use the MSD on my 7720/7730 powered ignition. I like the MSD light pretty well. Good investment.

·
Premium Member
15,854 Posts
Still using a ACTRON dial back, w/o dialing it back any. No issue with MSD.

PS, I checked the Actron with my buddy's high end digital Snap on. A very nice light but spendy.

·
Super Moderator
12,636 Posts

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I have been using a 30 year old SunPro by Actron dial back timing light with my MSD ignition setup for years without any issues.

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,370 Posts
:cool: Just my 2 cents: I had a similar "timing light issue." I tried a second light and still had the same problem. By that point I guessed and picked up an inexpensive DISTRIBUTOR at the local auto parts store. The new dizzy solved my problem. My old timing light didn't lie, it was my old dizzy that needed a rebuild.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
With any multi spark discharge ignition, some lights pick up the spark at different times, making it appear something is wrong. Run it up to 3000 rpm where the sparks are closer together and that goes away.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Really...very interesting, but.........hilarious, VERY HILARIOUS.

BTW, if you run cheap wires, expect RF interference between spark events for different cylindrs, and also expect the ignition system to overload frm trying to fire multiple spark plugs at once, which timing lights, especially when dial-back is on, won't show.

Enjoy the comedy of it all.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
I used a regular Craftsman timing light for years when I was running an MSD box. It worked perfectly. Model 2134:

Pay attention to the listings, because come of them are being sold with no leads. However, the prices have gotten significantly higher (good thing I still have 3 working ones).

·
Registered
11,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ill try #6,,,,mark still moves around at 3k, tried different wires. It better NOT be the distributor sunk too much in this pos already. Doesnt miss at all, runs smooth as silk?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts