Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have the MSD Streetfire HEI and purchased the spring and bushing kit for it recommended by Summit (p/n 8428)? Were you able to easily set the mechanical advance? Were you able to limit the advance at a certain rpm using the included bushings? The $160 price won't seem that great if I have to also add on the cost of having it professionally tuned so I was wondering if anyone had success doing it themselves. I do own a timing light with the dial.

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
Anyone have the MSD Streetfire HEI and purchased the spring and bushing kit for it recommended by Summit (p/n 8428)? Were you able to easily set the mechanical advance? Were you able to limit the advance at a certain rpm using the included bushings? The $160 price won't seem that great if I have to also add on the cost of having it professionally tuned so I was wondering if anyone had success doing it themselves. I do own a timing light with the dial.
It doesn't come with a spring and bushing assortment? :sad:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I run a street fire and I have installed part # 8428. The bushings do not control the advance they are for placing the center plate only. If you install the kit, you just use the bushing that fits the best. With the kit installed I simply set the timing to 36* total, which all comes in by 3000 rpms. That leaves me with 12 degrees initial, at first this seems low but it is not. I run the softest spring the copper one, and that allows about 8 degrees of mechanical advance to come in at 500 Rpms... So with the car idling at 900 rpms you have the 12* initial and 6-8* mechanical advance for a total of 18-20 which I like for any type of performance cam/motor....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts