Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have just bought my 68 chevelle. i noticed that the msd ignition seems to be wired directly to the battery. why would he do this and is this the right way to do it. i don't know why it is but she runs jsut fine. any info would help.
Don
New Orleans, La

·
Registered
143 Posts
If it's a "6" box, there is a wire that's supposed to be direct 12 volts all the time. That doesn't mean the ignition is always powered up. There is also a ignition fused wire. Go to msdignition.com, and ask the experts.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Some even run that thick red wire to the large starter post. In effect, its no different than running directly to the battery since the red battery lead goes to the starter too. Cleaner installation as well. Sounds normal to me!

------------------
Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
71 Pro Touring Chevelle
ZZ502 Crated RATs in both
TEAM CHEVELLE #726 ACES #4486
“What the heck are all these extra nuts & bolts for?”

My 72 Chevelle SS Restoration Website: www.72ChevelleSS.com

My 71 Chevelle Pro-Touring restoration website: www.71protouringchevelle.com

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies. i've just never seen it wired in that way. i have one more question, if anyone reads this, will i have to reset the ignition in any way if i disconnect the battery. he had a cheap one and i need to replace it. thank you.
Don

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by seawolf06:
will i have to reset the ignition in any way if i disconnect the battery. he had a cheap one and i need to replace it. thank you.
Don
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, there's no data that needs to be re-inputed back into the box. Everything in there is a fixed value. Clean up the battery cable connections before you tighten them on your new battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts