·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Finally went to fire up the engine today but no luck. This is the layout:
MSD "ready to run billet dist."
MSD Blaster 2 coil
I have the distributor in, all the wires to their respective plugs but no spark. The pigtail from the distr. is connected per instructions, red to + on coil, orange to - on coil, black to ground. I have a green tach wire attached on - of coil(per autogage instructions). Now at this point is where I may have it screwed-up. The instructions say to have a wire go from + side of coil to "12v ignition". I called MSD tech and asked if this wire should be always "hot", or when ignition is "on" they said it should be constant "hot". It didn't make sense to me to have a always "hot" wire going to the coil even when the ignition was off so I ran a wire from a fuse acc. clip that only is "hot" when the ignition is on, not cranking. With this setup I got no spark, I put a test light to the posts on the coil and BOTH lit up the light, is that normal? Should the - post on coil light up the test light? After searching a little here I've concluded that maybe I should hook up the "hot when cranking" purple wire to the + side of the coil. Does that sound correct, would that do it, What's the difference if the + coil post gets a 12v from an acc. fuse when ignitions on, or only when cranking over(like the purple wire)Could i've overlooked something? I might test the coil per instructions on this site. What's the probabilty that coil and distr. are bad? BTW, compression good, and fuel supply good.Might be a few days before I get to remedy this. Thank you very much in advance for any ideas and solutions. (sorry for length)
GEORGE

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
12 volt ignition wire.
Try hooking up that lead to IGN on the fuse block and not ACC. The purple wire is not the right place. What you want is a connection that has 12 volts in both START and RUN positions. Check that connection for voltage in both those positions. You don't indicate what car you have. You may also need the yellow wire from the solenoid if you can't get 12 volts in both START and RUN.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,

It's a '68 chevelle, 468", th 400
I have one of those "mini" starters with Batt cable from trunk mounted battery attached at top large post on solenoid along with a red wire from a "hot shot" relay/ bump-starter kit.The purple wire from ignition splices into the purple from the relay kit then ultimately attaches to a clip on the solenoid. Both the starter and bump-over kit work as they're supposed to. There is another wire coming from the starter body to the lower fat post on the solenoid, it has a clip on the end. Also, I mis-typed when I said I ran a wire from "acc" on fuse block,what I don't know exactly which fuse I ran it from just know it was "hot" with the ignition in the "on" position.I will find the ignition fuse and try running it from there. I haven't checked, but is it possible that the fuse I ran it from momentarily doesn't get power while the engine is cranking over? I know the purple wire does for sure. Most of the wiring mess in the engine compartment I cleaned up,there are few original wires left(no resistor wire, no more alt. wires-one wire alt., etc.) just the bare essentials .
I will be a day or two before I can try this. Thanks for the help
George

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Need to find a place where you have power in both "run" and "start". The purple wire won't do the job. It's the wrong place.
Originally the yellow wire, from the original solenoid, put 12 volts to the old points style coil (+) terminal in "start" position. When you released the key, the solenoid stopped applying this voltage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts