Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of these guys with my HEI distributor. It is similar to 6AL, it just has a couple more features.

I wired it per the intstructions, took the 4 pin module out of the distributor et cetera. The car had a hesitation at 3200 rpm and above, and after doing some cleaning/lubing on the distributor the hesitation moved at 4500 rpm.

I disconnected the MSD box and I put in the module in my distributor, and without the MSD box the car runs great.

Do you guys have any ideas of what the problem might be?

Thank you.

------------------
www.yannis68chevelle.com

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John, I just called them.
FYI for anyone else, apparently this is a common issue. What they told me is that the wires from the box to the distributor (Green and Violet in this case) must be run 4"-6" away from any other wires and by themshelves. Apparently they pick up voltage easily and can give wrong spark information.

I will try that and see if it works.

------------------
www.yannis68chevelle.com

·
Premium Member
27,725 Posts
IMO, seems to me that if MSD is aware of the problem - why in the world don't they manufacture the box using shielded wire for those leads??

------------------
Bill Burke
TC#613
ACES#3920
'67 El Camino "SS"
468, TH400, 4.11 12 bolt, 13.1 @106
'80 Camaro RS
355 Vortec, TH350, 3.73, [email protected]

'67 El Rat
'80 Camaro RS

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Or maybe do something different on the circuit input to reduce this problem. Input pick-up problems, tach noise problems, run-on problems, can't inadvertently ground the 12 volt input line.
Just thinking out loud. These boxes are probably great if you plan to race. Think I'll stick to the GM stuff on my daily driver.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with you guys, it does not make any sense and it is pretty darn frustrating not only with this situation but with a lot of aftermarket parts that supoosedly fit!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts