Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While the engine is out at the machine shop I decided to pull everything up off and away and paint the engine bay. Many years of greesey whiteness to be taken care of.

Well I had the battery back in and I was rerouting my MSD pos and neg wires with convoluted tubing.

The positive battery terminal was hooked up, and the ground was not hooked up. The negative MSD terminal accidently hit the neg battery post and caused a rather narley arc spark.

Did I fry the MSD? And how would it do this if the ground isn't hooked up and nothing is connected to the non existant engine?

Maybe the neg of the MSD went through the case to the firewall where it is mounted, and ran back through the starter cable that was touching the K member?

Atleast it looks pretty in there?!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I wonder if the MSD box has storage capacitors inside of it. When I hook up some car stereo amplifiers for the first time to the battery they arc pretty good but if you unnhook them and hook it back up there is no arc. It's just charging up filter cpacitors inside the amplifiers.
Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts