Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I followed the 'white wire and paper clip' tests from the MSD video and it does spark.

I'm using an MSD dist and not getting spark.

I've confirmed the:

- timing light works
- engine ground
- MSD box sparks

The failure is during cranking and I see the wire (last pic) that I labeled "to ign from starter sol"

At this point I see two paths:
1. the 12v from starter sol needs to get to the MSD box.
2. the dist pickup has a problem. It looks like a mag pickup and that would make it a simple switch that can be tested while cranking the engine with a 12v light, right?

Can I assume the coil is correct because the MSD box would not have tested if it were wrong?

is there a good way to test if the dist pickup is good?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: problem solved. The one wire to the MSD red was run only, not crank. The other wasn't live during crank so I ran a hot to MSD red and it sparks.

Now just have to find the right time and carb mix while chewing up batteries.

At least I know she ran before, so she should be close.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,330 Posts
>> Now just have to find the right time and carb mix while chewing up batteries.

what kind of batteries does it seem to like best? For a long time my truck was partial to the green Interstate batteries. Bought it a new red Optima and it quit eating batteries. I think it didn't like the flavor of the Optimas. Probably tasted like broccoli or liver or something. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts