Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K.,it's a non-Chevelle problem,but then it's for use on my truck... used to tow the Chevelle to races.Acceptable? I want to retard the timing on long uphill climbs,especially when deep summer comes, so I dug out a MSD pn 8782 timing controller from my parts bin.I used to use it on my '86 2.8L S-10 years ago,but never re-installed it on my third engine.I'd like to put it inline in the '75's Hei ignition, but have lost the wiring diagrams.MSD takes forever to answer, so can anyone sketch this one out for me this week?I'd like to wire it up before the weekend.The MSD info online is for a different piece,not the stand alone controller I have. Anyone useing one?

·
Super Moderator
13,002 Posts
oops ... I lied ..the 8782 is not listed on the web page. I just looked in my MSD Tech Bible and it looks like that unit will only work on HEI's with external coils, like you had in the S-10. It looks like the only way you can use it with the "coil in cap" HEI's is if you are also using a MSD ignition box and only using the HEI to trigger the box. My scanner is on the blink or I would scan the pages and send them to you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bill K- I looked at their downloads, but all the timing controls were for use in conjunction with the ignition boxes, not stand-alone like the 8782.However, one of their techs faxed me the installation instructions today.But,now that I am looking them over, I see that the 4-pin HEI module has to be removed entirely and the timing controller must serve as the signal amplifier instead (after conversion to a magnetic trigger).Won't I lose some spark energy? I don't want to have retarded timing if the plugs won't fire as well.I guess I'll have to ask the tech about that, unless you might know already??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts