Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished hooking up the box and of course my car won't start. It cranks but doesn't start up. So what I'm wondering is how I check for a spark with HEI and the box installed? Anyone ran into this problem? Any questions let me know.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
You can always pull of #1 plug and hold it next to a ground, have someone crank it and you should see a spark jump. Or, you can use an inductive gun, put it over # 1 and crank the mill and you should see spark via timing light flash..can repeat for all wires.

I bet your not getting power to the coil. Does it stumble and then die or just cranks and nothing? I would ensure you're getting 12 volts with the key in "on" position and double check your wiring and grounds. All I can think of at the moment. Sure one of the other gus can shed some more light.

------------------
'70 SS 396
4spd, 4.11's and a smile
TC# 1341
Beaux

"You're just jealous because the little voices are talking to me"

·
Registered
184 Posts
make sure that you followed the directions exactly. make sure that there is only 2 wires going to the coil. when i hooked mine up, i had 3, so of course it wouldnt start.

btw-the 3rd wire was coming off the starter for an extra boost, i guess.

good luck-youll notice a great improvement after it is all hooked up/

------------------
70 El Camino SS 396
3.73 with a 12 bolt

http://www.geocities.com/bodukess/my_elco_page.html

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already rechecked all the connections and they're all good. I've got 12 volts in the on position and my direct battery connect is good too. The Coil is hooked up exactly as directed. I'm not sure what you meant by there only being two wires. I'm using the magnetic pickup which is the purple and black? I can't remember exactly. They're the only two under the cap. Now the other wires were black and orange. They're hooked up correctly as well and my grounds seem fine. I have them bolted right to the firewall and yes I have ground straps from the engine to the frame to the firewall. The engine still only cranks and cranks and cranks. Doesn't start, sputter, then stop. Although the last time I tried to start is last night when I turned the key to the off position from the "on" position a cloud of gasoline shot straight up from my carb (my air cleaner was off and so is my hood). Oh well I'm still lost. I guess I'll go check for spark now again and mess with a little more. Oh and about my coil. I think it's working. It gets really hot when I am crankin' the engine and it worked fine before I hooked up the MSD box. Is there any way of finding out if that's working?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had the same problem when I installed my box. I forgot to hook dist. wires to box wires. I have a msd dist. Not sure how the HEI dist. hooks to the box.

------------------
Plate Tinman3 Tinman4 grnmachineengine1

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Tinman, they should use the same purple/green wires.

Check to make sure the other set of distributor wires ( white/orange?) isnt grounding out. This will cause a non start condition.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gene Chas, how would those wires ground out? I don't understand.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,787 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 19Chevelle70:
I've got 12 volts in the on position <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But do you have 12 volts in the "cranking" position too ?

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
Mid America Chevelle Club #001
chevelles.net

By the time you can make ends meet, they move the ends

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Take the msd box out and put the wiring back to original,see if it starts.If it starts then the problem is with the msd box or wiring.If it starts then wire up the box again and see if it works.If it dosen't start call msd tech and they will walk you through it.I had the same problem with a crane ignition box and the box was bad.It happens.I returned the box to Jegs and they sent another one.I put it in and it started right up.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Isn't the magnetic pickup only for if your using a crank trigger?

If your hooking this up to a stock HEI setup this is how you should have it wired:

http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/pdf14.pdf

Do you have the center connector on the coil grounded?

------------------
Chris Dagenais
'71 Malibu with a home built 454! [email protected]
For everything you do, this burnout's for you.
CDE Power!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Turns out it was the magnetic pickup. I don't know what you're talking about with crank trigger or whatever but when I put the new pickup in it started right up. The magnet on the old one was totally brittle and fell apart all over the place when i took it out. Oh well problem solved case closed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts