Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to use a MSD 6AL and MSD coil with my stock distributor to retain the original appearance. The wiring diagram from MSD shows how to make the connections, so my question is, will this setup work for a weekend show and cruising car or should I spend the bucks and get the MSD distributor also? Grant

------------------
69 Chevelle SS
Aces #1446
Team Member #496

[This message has been edited by fridge (edited 09-21-2000).]

·
Registered
330 Posts
You can use the white wire from the MSD unit to the points to trigger the MSD. Point wear will be greatly reduced as the MSD doesn't load the points as a whole system does.

There are also people out there (as in me) who install MSD pickups into the dead stock point distributor for use with the 6 series units, so the magnetic sensing is used (distributor then plugs directly into the MSD magnetic trigger feed wire set like the MSD distributor does), and the timing won't vary, no maintenance on the electronics side.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ignition Man. Do you have the part numbers for this pick-up module? Grant

·
Registered
330 Posts
No, I install them into point stock distributors as as a business. Although the parts are all easily available, there is machine work needed to fit them, and this isn't easily done by the average user.

I am just now getting my new, high-zoot computer running and can send pics in a day or two for your viewing pleasure. I see you have an e/mail address posted, I'll send pics there. They should give you a good idea of the process and what you get back. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fridge:

Another thing to consider is MSD's Ready to Run Distributor. It is amazingly close to stock appearance except for the harness and the billet body of the distributor. I have 2 in different vehicles. The one in my '68 SS396 is 4 years old.

Just a thought!

Glenn Humphries

1 - 5 of 5 Posts