Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
- Ben R. - Snohomish, WA
7,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm toying with the idea of using my elk to be my daily driver for a while. I carpool 5 days a week, and only drive 2.5 days a week (we alternate wednesdays). Commute is about 30 miles round trip.

So the question is: Realisticly- what kind of mileage could I expect out of my car with the following setup:

68 elcamino
454- 650 cfm carb (I'll downsize from the 750 I have on it now)
TH400
3.08 gears

Please- I'm looking for estimates with MY SETUP- I don't need suggestions of swap in a 350, add an overdrives or put on Fuel injection- I just want to know what I can expect out of what I have.

Carb suggestions are about the only thing that i could use- as that is the one peice i'll be modifying.

Thanks-
Ben

· Premium Member
2,829 Posts
Ben, I have a friend that regularly drives a mild 454 th400 '67 chevelle with 3:23 gears and claims 15-17mpg running a holley spread bore carb and trying to stay out of the scondaries. I think rpm is the key, your only problem is going to be the constant stop and go traffic you have up there. Still I would guess about 16 with the 3:08's.

· Premium Member
- Ben R. - Snohomish, WA
7,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ben, I have a friend that regularly drives a mild 454 th400 '67 chevelle with 3:23 gears and claims 15-17mpg running a holley spread bore carb and trying to stay out of the scondaries. I think rpm is the key, your only problem is going to be the constant stop and go traffic you have up there. Still I would guess about 16 with the 3:08's.

My F-150 (which sold last week, btw) only got about 15 MPG, So anything around that range would be cool.

The original idea was take the $$ from the Truck sale and the Elcamino sale and buy a new family rig, I'd drive tracys volvo as my commuter, and use $6-7k to buy another classic project.... Unfortunatly- I've been watching car sales all summer, and I'm having my doubts that I'm going to be able to sell the elk for what I want...

So making it a daily driver until I can get enough $$ to buy what we want... Plus this way I get to keep the car.

Of course that all depends on it getting something better than 10mpg so it will sorta fit in the trucks old gas budget.

anyway... just toying with ideas.

· Registered
744 Posts
I would fill the car up try it for a week and keep track of your milage, fill it back up and multiple your gallons into the miles you drove between fill ups that way there no guessing. JMO

· Registered
18,121 Posts
just drive it for a week and see what it gets- if you don't like it, then buy a cheap commuter beater. i'd say mid teens if it is mostly highway driving, maybe a bit less if it's city driving with a lot of traffic and lights.
but 15 miles one way isn't very bad- worst case, it costs you $10 in gas a day to drive it.

· Premium Member
- Ben R. - Snohomish, WA
7,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just drive it for a week and see what it gets- if you don't like it, then buy a cheap commuter beater. i'd say mid teens if it is mostly highway driving, maybe a bit less if it's city driving with a lot of traffic and lights.
but 15 miles one way isn't very bad- worst case, it costs you $10 in gas a day to drive it.
THanks guys...
Odometer doesn't currently work- so i'm only guessing at current mileage. Thats why i'm asking for estimates.

· Premium Member
8,560 Posts
Like what was said earlier. Fill it up at the beginning of the week. Drive it and then fill it up at the end of the work week. You would then have the monetery value of the $$ required. That would be more accurate then some internet guesses. I doubt you would get any less than the 13mpg I get with Old Blue(mixed hwy/city). Solid roller 454 1000HP Holley TH400 and 4.10s
What is your definition of a family rig?

· Premium Member
10,849 Posts
Ben,
With the small carb, 3.07s and stock converter....no reason you'll not see 15-16 mpg unless you are stop and go....
I believe my Vette pulls 16 or so in cruise mode....3.36...it almost rationed gas when it had 3.08s.

· Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Here's another way to look at it...do you already bring your lunch to work everyday? If not, how much could you save by "brown bagging" it to offset the additional fuel cost, if any?

· Registered
72 Posts
a well tuned quadrajet will get you the best highway mileage of most any carb out there IF you can keep it running on the primaries. The 750 cfm rating won't hurt your mileage a bit until you open up the giant secondaries so if your driving on the highway, you might get 15+mpg. Also there is usually a big difference in the miles per gallon if you keep it at 55-60mph compared to 70+.

· Premium Member
- Ben R. - Snohomish, WA
7,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies guys...

Right now its all theoretical- I'm going to be wrapped up for the next month or so, before I would have a chance to try driving it daily- thats why i'm asking for estimates- because I'm toying with ideas in my head and can't actually try it out yet.

The car has a Square bore intake, so unfortunatly running a Q-jet is out... Not enough hood clearance to run an adapter/spacer for one either.

Too bad too as a buddy of mine has an extra on his shelf ready to rock.
As i mentioned before I was thinking about putting on his extra carter/edelbrock 650 if it would help me get better mileage.... But I suppose I could just put some spacers on my throttle cable to keep me from opening the secondaries on the Holley 750 I have on it now.

· Banned
2,016 Posts
I'm toying with the idea of using my elk to be my daily driver for a while. I carpool 5 days a week, and only drive 2.5 days a week (we alternate wednesdays). Commute is about 30 miles round trip.

So the question is: Realisticly- what kind of mileage could I expect out of my car with the following setup:

68 elcamino
454- 650 cfm carb (I'll downsize from the 750 I have on it now)
TH400
3.08 gears

Please- I'm looking for estimates with MY SETUP- I don't need suggestions of swap in a 350, add an overdrives or put on Fuel injection- I just want to know what I can expect out of what I have.

Carb suggestions are about the only thing that i could use- as that is the one peice i'll be modifying.

Thanks-
Ben

get a q jet..
and you'll see 16-17 mph hyway
13 town

my 71 c-10 lond box 2wd
454ho/th350/3.42 gears gets that with a q jet..
untill I get the lead out

· Registered
3,604 Posts
Boy a lot depends here...

Is the ignition setup right with a vacuum advance? What cam/compression?

And a biggie: how well is the carb jetted? Running around rich is not gonna help MPG matters at all.

I get about 8 MPG around town and 12 MPG down the highway with my '68 Elky and 3.31 rear and 402 with HR296 cam and Edelbrock 600 carb. I run a bit richer than I might prefer (often low 13's) but further tuning would be a lot of work (read: have to tune IFR).

The suggestion about keeping RPMs down is a good one. After driving my EFI DD for 7 years and 80k miles I finally figured out that shifting at 2000 RPM and driving around town at 1500 RPM instead of 2000 RPM bumps city MPG from 15-16 up to 17-18. Biggest change is to jump into 5th gear ASAP, hitting the OD anytime I am over 40 MPH.

· Registered
227 Posts
you don't say what size tires you'll run and if it's stop-and-go or highway cruising.
I got about 18-20 est. MPG last week in mine cruising to work at about 60MPH.

· Registered
446 Posts
i drove a couple legs of the power tour and i was getting 16 mpg with my 68 running 80 mph on the interstate. powered by a 454 and th 400 with 2:73 gears. i bet i am pushing 20 if i run 55-60 mph. i will by finding out one of these days. the motor has a 325hp quadrajet that would be correct for 68 with a 396.

· Registered
467 Posts
if your odometer doesn't work, how are we going to award the prize for the closest guess?
i think the best you could hope for is around 15, and that's if it's most all highway. if someone says they can get 18-20 from a carb'd 454, i'd love to see to know how they do that. i have a moderately built 355 in a '70 corvette that doesn't even approach that driving it nice.

· Registered
446 Posts
if your odometer doesn't work, how are we going to award the prize for the closest guess?
i think the best you could hope for is around 15, and that's if it's most all highway. if someone says they can get 18-20 from a carb'd 454, i'd love to see to know how they do that. i have a moderately built 355 in a '70 corvette that doesn't even approach that driving it nice.
come to iowa and i'll give you a ride.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.