Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about moving the battery to the back. I had a friend that says dont do it because he had problem with connections and charging/starting. Id really like to do it to clean up the engine compartment and get some weight on the rear.

Have you guys had any problems?

Also is their anyway to do it cheaper than the 80 buck kit from summit? I thought about making my own box but then the lenght for the cable alone is like 70 bucks. Might as well buy the kit with the box and everything.

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
I spent 40.00 for 00 positive battery cable, 20.00 for 4 guage alternator wire, about 25.00 for a cutoff switch. I think the kits come with the bare minimum and I like overkill when it comes to the charging system.

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
Wise decision Bob. It's hard to get too many electrons. Large numbers of finely stranded wire conducts electricity the best of affordable metals. Welding cable in at least the "00" diameter is a real good choice. As "wire diameter" goes up the resistance, or "loss per foot", goes down. Weight and expense are the limiting factors. An even larger charge wire would help maintain the battery. Also of great importance is the right brand of battery. I've heard that the best on the market at the present time are the Odyssey and Deka. Recently relocated factories (gone to China) have rendered one very popular brand to the realm of JUNK. Failures of this brand of battery have gone through the roof, (think red top and yellow top). P.S.... Anyone thinking of this relocation might cnsider the Powermaster 12/16 battery so you could use the higer voltage to power the ignition. Also of interest is the MINI-Vip from performance distributors in Memphis, Tn. which boosts primary voltage from 12 volts to 18 volts for ignition systems.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
You can throw a battery out back cheap, but expect problems like you were warned about. I just rewired the high current side of my car and it cost $550 in materials alone to do right.

Do a search on my name and you can dig up pics of the work done.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The Summit kit works fine for me.The battery lead is a Taylor #2awg,off the shelf Interstate battery,3 wire 63a internal regulator alternator,30% underdriven crank pulley.Routing the wire was about the hardest part for me,keeping it off the header after I burned it to the header right off the bat.Make sure you have some good grounding.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Battery and gas tank are placed outside the passenger compartment, wonder why. With the battery in the trunk with just cardboard between you and your passenger will the fumes get in the passenger compartment? Is that smart. I get it on all out race cars, but not on the street. Especially with the family riding.:noway:

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
How many Pintos blew up with the gas tank outside the passenger compartment? I have both gas tank and battery in the trunk and I would challenge you that you cannot smell any fumes inside my car.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I used 00 wire in my 65 to relocate my battery. Run a ground from the frame to the engine block and a ground from the battery to the frame. I also mounted a ford style solenoid on the firewall. Running a cable to the starter from there makes it easier to get around the header. I don't have any fumes either.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
As an alternative you might consider my setup:

Odyssey PC680 battery (13 lbs)
Aluminum bracket for PC 680 like 4 oz
2' long standard battery cables.
Everything listed above available for ~ $140
Mounted to my firewall on passenger side

I joke with people who stop to look at it by saying "isn't that the biggest ignition coil you have ever seen?" They usually answer "yes", and are very surprised when I tell them that is the car battery.

Why I like this is:
1) Priced right and simple to install
2) Does not require an external battery kill switch at the drags
3) Lighter than any trunk mount battery

Everyone has different ideas about this, but I have noticed that many trunk mount battery setups use two batteries. Maybe that is to put even more weight on the back end, maybe that is because they need two batteries to get through the long battery cables to start the car.

I do understand the guys who think batteries are ugly and want to remove them from the underhood view. I do not understand the guys who do it for weight reasons and then end up making their car even heavier with twin batteries. For an experiment just load a bag of sand in your trunk and then make passes at the drags...then compare to runs without the sandbag. My money says that the lower weight car is more important for e.t. than moving 40 lbs to the ass end.

Thomas

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
Got pics Thomas? I just moved one battery to the trunk, starts fine, weight back there has to help more than weight over the nose ;)

·
Registered
363 Posts
I like Tom's idea - that is what I am going with.
I might go with a DynaCell battery though.

Thomas, is the bracket for the PC680 a purchased part or did you make it youself?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Summit kit works fine for me.The battery lead is a Taylor #2awg,off the shelf Interstate battery,3 wire 63a internal regulator alternator,30% underdriven crank pulley.Routing the wire was about the hardest part for me,keeping it off the header after I burned it to the header right off the bat.Make sure you have some good grounding.
Good to hear, was wondering if the summit kit was beefy enough

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
My '65 is at my Mom's house because I ran out of space at my house, I'll be able to take some pics this next weekend and post them.

The DynaCell battery is a good one too. I chose an Odyssey because they have good local availability. The bracket for the PC680 should work for the DynaCell, their dimensions are the same. I bought the bracket as a pre-made item from the battery seller, although I think the bracket is made by another company.

Thomas

1 - 17 of 17 Posts