Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it hazardous to your health to have the MSD box mounted in the car? Sounds a little silly but that box makes a lot of power.:yes:

·
Gold Founding Member
10,967 Posts
Yes, it's just like overhead high-voltage power lines. Power lines are always arrow-straight for as many miles as possible, because when the cables turn to the side, the electrons--traveling at nearly the speed of light--can't all "make the curve".

The result is high-speed ion balls flying off the cable like electronic tumbleweeds and causing cancer or sterility in the people, cattle, birds, etc. that get in the way of the ion balls.

So if you have to mount high-voltage electrical equipment inside the passenger compartment, be sure to use STRAIGHT wires that don't point towards you or your passengers.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
No issues to your health would be caused by this. I see so many cars with the MSD box mounted in the engine compartment and wonder why. Heat kills electrical parts! Thats why I have mine mounted inside the car passenger side towards the firewall. Haven't had any failures yet and no one has kicked it either. :)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Is it hazardous to your health to have the MSD box mounted in the car? Sounds a little silly but that box makes a lot of power.:yes:
Yup, sounds a little silly. The MSD box doesn't "make power", it just generates the high frequency pulses to fire the spark coil. The coil itself is what makes the high voltage. A lot of people mount the box inside the car because it's cleaner and has less vibration than the engine compartment. You may hear some noise coming from the box but other than that, there is no health hazard unless you mount it in a position where you can whack your knee on it.

Tom

·
Registered
71 Posts
have a 70 chevelle ss i have the box mounted in the console, i know that sounds strange
benn that way for 3 years, no problems.if you remove your shifter plate (4 speed) there is just enough room to fit the box, no even knows its there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts