Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many mounting brackets do I need to put in my console in my 71 chevelle?? Also do i need to cut the carpet away from where the console will be sitting on the transmission tunnel?? Thanks guys

·
Registered
875 Posts
One mounting bracket, for the rear of console. Front of console mounts with screws directly through the carpet into the tunnel sheet metal. You need not remove any carpet, but you must cut slits in carpet to fit around rear mounting bracket.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So why is it that when i set the console in there just to fit it it doesnt seem to fit for $%it i mean how far back does it sit from the fire wall and how far in front of the rear seat does it sit?? This thing just seems not to fit very well i thought that if i had to remove carpet it would fit better but if i dont why does it not fit to well??? Thanks a lot Merlin

·
Registered
875 Posts
Mount your rear bracket so that it measures 17 to 17.25 inches from the vertical section of the floorboard under the rear seat. If using an automatic, mount the shifter to the floor using the factory dimples as a guide. And then mount the console accordingly. As far as fit... I have never seen one fit really well. But then again, the quality of the fit is relative. Most folks will tell you that even the factory installations left something to be desired. Using the measurements given, mount the console so that it looks and fits as nice as you can get it, and it will probably look just like a factory install. Best of luck...
Patrick

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just did this yesterday and it fit very well. I am going to go back and cut holes in the carpet around the shifter assembly (auto) because it made the shifter and console sit crooked.

Here was my console install method:

1. Install Shifter using factory dimples (Right on merlin!)

2. Mark/drill the holes in the bracket to mount to the console (through the holes in the glovebox), and screw the bracket to the console.

3. Position the console over the shifter using the holes in the console that correspond with the rear screws for the shifter (hard to explain, but it will make sense).

4. Drill and mount the front of the console to the firewall with the two molded holes and screws.

5. Now the console should rest on the shifter and the rear bracket will be exposed. Mount the bracket to the side of the firewall with screws to stabilize it and you are done!

I suggest pulling the carpet back and mounting the bracket under it. Otherwise it will show when installed, and it's not pretting to look at (especially with my black interior!).

·
Registered
269 Posts
Merlin, I mounted a console bracket in my 72. There is a PDF file with instructions.... Go to the SEARCH section and check there. Measurements are listed too! It was fairly easy. Drew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts