Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the voltage regulator take ground from the radiator support? I purchased new hardware to mount the regulator on my 70 and it consists of 3 rubber grommets that seem to pass through larger holes and draw themselves up creating a rubber cushion. Whats the deal? Before it was only three screws.
Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Early regulators did have the rubber wellnuts. Along with those the regulator had a ground strap tying to the core support. I thought the 70 mounted with 3 good size sheet metal screws directly to the core support with no ground strap used. The 71/72 are mounted that way.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have a factory voltage regulator on my 70 el camino SS 396 now and according to the factory assembly manual, 1970's and later took only the 3 sheet metal screws and not the rubber well nuts. A lot of vendors list that the rubber well nuts for applications from 66-72 but originally I think the cut off was maybe 69 for using the rubber well nuts. If you have a 70 or later, the correct thing from the factory was just 3 sheet metal screws. Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts