Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I know this isn't a chevelle problem, but you guy sure seem to know how the electric stuff works!

I have a 1978 KAwasaki KL250 dirtbike. It's 6V and it doesn't charge the battery. When I test this is what I get:

battery voltage alone, running or not: 6.13v
battery voltage with bike running and headlight on: 5.7v
regulator output with nothing connected 7.7v
regulator out put when light is on, and battery disconnected: 0v
regulator current with everything connected: 0.0mA

Is the voltage regulator bad? (I assume so....) A new one is $318 (!) from Kawasaki. Bike isn't worth much more than that.....so I'd like to understand how they work and maybe use a 6v regulator from something else. There are 4 wires coming from the reg, the output wire that goes to the battery, a black wire which seems to be a ground. And there are 2 yellow wires, I don't know what they do.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix this on the cheap? Thanks!

chris

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Bulb,
sorry, but this is a Chevelle site. Why would you expect anyone here to answer a motorcycle question. Some might if your were a member of this site. Not being a Chevelle question and not being a member of this site your odds are against you.

Team gold Member #74

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Here's some basic thoughts.

Do some research. Search the internet or get an manual showing the wiring. It may take a few hours of looking on the internet but some info is probably out there. Then, you need to find the wiring of a compatible system for the donor regulator.

All in all, most of the alternators or generators out there basically work the same way. They all control the output voltage by controlling the field current. You may need to change the wiring a little but there's something out there that will probably work.

Peter

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Is this a generator or an alternator? If it is an alternator, the challenge will be to find a 6V regulator. If it is a generator, then there are 6V regulators available for old cars. I have known people to use inexpensive car regulators to replace costly motorcycle regulators with no problems.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your help guys! I got some email with some very helpful information, as well as what you provided here.

Peter, I did search the internet, and came up with nothing at all for this old dirt bike. I could find anything I ever wanted to know about newer steet bikes though..... I assumed that all regulators worked in a similar fashion and I could find something that could work. I hope you're right!

JWagner, I don't know wether you'd call it a generator or alternator. It's built into the crankcase. I have no idea what goes on in there...., Again, I asked here, hoping to find out how regulators work, so I could figure out if I could replace it with something inexpensive like a car regulator. If you know people who have done it, that sure sounds promising!

Jlaf, thanks for the link! Very good!

65camino, look, honestly I didn't mean to waste your time. You didn't have to read my question.... I asked here for several reasons. I want to know how volt regulators work. All our cars came with one, my 68 did. I just don't know how they work. I know there are people here that understand them and could possibly help me understand them too. And believe me, I would put a car part in there if it'll work. And NO, I am not currently a member. My membership expired several months ago. I haven't yet renewed, as I was laid off in Jan, and I really don't have much money at the moment. Don't worry, I'll re-register when I get a new job and have real money. The bike isn't mine, I'm just fixing it for my friend to make a few $$ and so I can borrow it sometimes ;) . So no, I'm not a member.....I still answer other peoples questions when I can (wether they are registered or not!). I would hope others would be so kind too.

Thanks again for your help guys!

chris

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
An alternator will have diodes and a generator will have a commutator. A commutator is what's inside most electric drills and you can see the comutator and brushes through the vents at the end of the motor.

An alternator will also have brushes but they'll run on a slip ring which is a solid ring of copper. There are no slits in it.

Both alternator and generator outputs are controlled by varying the current in the field winding which varies the magnetic field in the case.

I wasn't really thinking about it but you could have a permanent magnet alternator on that thing. That would require a regulator which controls the actual power or current output line instead of controlling the field.

Peter

·
Registered
1 Posts
On motorcycles the regulator and rectifier are usually combined into one unit, the rectifier being the part that changes A/C into D/C, with neither being servicable seperatly. The only way I know of to test a regulator is by process of elemination.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts