Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a site that has frequency of repair info for motorcycles like Consumer Reports has for autos? Or a site like this I could get general info. I am looking at getting a new used bike for city commuting and have no idea what is good or bad. Basic criteria at this time is 4 stroke street classic upright that is probalby 750 cc range. No cafe racer or crotch rocket. Want something relatively light weight. Do not want a Harley or similar larger road bike. Previous experience was on Ducati 250 dirt bike in the 70's and Honda Trail 90's hunting. I would also consider a bike that I could use in town but also take on mountain gravel roads too.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Does anyone know of a site that has frequency of repair info for motorcycles like Consumer Reports has for autos? Or a site like this I could get general info. I am looking at getting a new used bike for city commuting and have no idea what is good or bad. Basic criteria at this time is 4 stroke street classic upright that is probalby 750 cc range. No cafe racer or crotch rocket. Want something relatively light weight. Do not want a Harley or similar larger road bike. Previous experience was on Ducati 250 dirt bike in the 70's and Honda Trail 90's hunting. I would also consider a bike that I could use in town but also take on mountain gravel roads too.
find a suzuki bandit, perferably the 1200. great sit up bike, long between maintenence intervals, and they are year after year in the top ten best bikes, lots of after market...modern bikes are really no different than modern cars, they seldom need any adjusments, you keep oil in them, replace tires and brakes as used, and keep an ear for funny noises or things coming loose. they are pretty much point and shoot. i reccomend a 1200, for simple reasons, nothing sucks more than being uncorfortable or not having enough power. this bike is the best all around balance. rides two up comfortably, is nimble, quick, and just what a real world bike should be. they are usually way more resonable than a bmw or harley, and need less maintence than harley's or sport bikes. the internet has down loadable manuels for repair. $ for $, can't beat this bike for comfort and reliability.....

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
As Bill suggested, Bandits are good but valve adjust intervals are every 7500 miles and they still use the screw-and-locknut type adjustment which, if you plan to do your own servicing, is the easiest . My recommendation would be an SV650 or 1000 twin. The naked models are straight up seating, they are fuel injected (03 and newer) and the valve adjustments are every 15k, shim-under-bucket, and are very good at holding they clearances. They are light-weight (650) and would be fairly easy to navigate a dirt or gravel road. The sorta-off-road version, the DL 650-1000, are also good choices, comfy to ride, more protection from wind with the fairing, but are kinda dorky-looking. As a Suzuki tech, these are some of the best choices from my personal view, bikes I would own if I were looking for something new.
As an added note, if you do some wise shopping, you can get an 06 SV650 new for probably under 5k. There were some left-overs and dealers were blowing them out for well under 5k. No real changes of any significance other than cosmetics, so another good reason to consider these. Probably get one new for what you'd pay used. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
As Bill suggested, Bandits are good but valve adjust intervals are every 7500 miles and they still use the screw-and-locknut type adjustment which, if you plan to do your own servicing, is the easiest . My recommendation would be an SV650 or 1000 twin. The naked models are straight up seating, they are fuel injected (03 and newer) and the valve adjustments are every 15k, shim-under-bucket, and are very good at holding they clearances. They are light-weight (650) and would be fairly easy to navigate a dirt or gravel road. The sorta-off-road version, the DL 650-1000, are also good choices, comfy to ride, more protection from wind with the fairing, but are kinda dorky-looking. As a Suzuki tech, these are some of the best choices from my personal view, bikes I would own if I were looking for something new.
As an added note, if you do some wise shopping, you can get an 06 SV650 new for probably under 5k. There were some left-overs and dealers were blowing them out for well under 5k. No real changes of any significance other than cosmetics, so another good reason to consider these. Probably get one new for what you'd pay used. Just a thought.
BOB, forgot about the sv, i hear the 1000 is quite a kick to ride, lots of torque. i've never heard anything, but good about these bikes....

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Hey Bill,
Those Suzuki twins are pretty awesome and dependable bikes. Since they came out in 99, have not seen or heard of anyone ever having to split the cases for any internal problems. I've done a lot of GSXR trannies, mostly blown 2nd gears, but never any twins. Had one person complain out shifting problems but admittedly said he constantly power shifted without using the clutch! They are a blast to ride too. Tons of torque and very docile, the power is very controllable, not like a light switch as some of the others are. Never seen anything weird, although had one customer say his bike hic-up and it died. Happened in front of the shop. Popped the tank up and the throttle bodies had popped out of the manifolds when it back-fired! Put em back in and away he went! Other than that, they are very reliable bikes, if you can keep tires on em!

·
Gold Founding Member
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went out today for a long lunch and looked at some bikes. Found a Ducati I like (1100 Hypermotard) but price is too much, expected that. Looked at Honda, Suzuki and Kawasakis. NOne of the Honda excited me. Narrowed it down to trying a Suzuki SV650 or Kaw KLR650, Ninja 650 and Ninja 500 for starters. Couldn't ride today, it was raining. Earlier in the week looked at an 81 Honda CR750 for 1K in excellent shape, thought about it and when I called back it was gone. Always liked the Honda 4's.

I talked to a couple of the customers there one had an 05 SV650 and really likes it bought it used with about 8K on it. We talked for about a half hour with him pointing out differences in the bikes, how each would take accessories like back and saddle bags, etc. He was there looking at the cruisers, wants something stouter for some long trips he is planning. I tried some of the cruisers but they just feel too heavy for me.

They are really offering good terms, I could get into one for payments of 1/3 of what I pay for gas each month for the Chevelle. They are really selling the Ninja 250's, going out the door at just under 3K new.

Thanks for the comments.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
I vote the Kawasaki KLR 650, lots of after market parts and they seem to have a good reputation if you are not on the short side. I am thinking about one of these for a shorter commute and running around the farm if needed.

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
A few years ago my wife and I bought a pair of low mileage 1984-85 Honda 500 Shadows. Water cooled, shaft drive, they cost zero in maintenance, other than oil changes, in the three years we had them. Terrific gas mileage and not bad performance. We just found that too many people in cars just don't see you and you are the one mangled when you tangle with them. We ended up trading them both for a nice '67 Chevelle. Love the feel of lots of metal around me when I'm driving.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Those Duc's are pretty cool bikes too, but very maintenance intensive. Plan on spending a lot of time every weekend tightening nuts and bolts or you will end up with lots of oil leaks. Kawi's are a good choice also, forgot about those. Nice and dependable also, but I would go with the SV just because it is fuel-injected and is a lot less maintenance, although the 650 Ninja is injected also. Get some test rides if can so you have a better idea of what you like but I think you have picked some good bikes to choose from.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts