Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK fellas, would like to run some things by ya and get a few opinions. Putting together a street small block for my kid's Camaro (1973). I dont want it too fast (new driver) but I dont want it anemic (dad will take if for a spin now and then :) ) I hope to run it on 87 octane fuel and get at least some type of fuel milage. Please keep those things in mind when you see the parts I'm listing. Also, all I have purchased at this point are the heads. Already had the block. My only smallblock experience is putting them together (assembler) Never been a builder (there is a difference). Anyway here it goes.

OK, so the block is an 010 cast 4 bolt main 350 from the 70's. Local machine shop checked it out and it is golden. Only machine work it needs (actually what I want) is to bore it .030 and deck it so the piston will be .005 in the hole. I will jump to heads next because I already bought them. I bought the 70 cc Edelbrock Estreet heads. I know theyre not the best thing out there but they are US made and with the rebate I was able to get them for $700.00 assembled (by edelbrock). For those that arent familiar with these heads they are a 185 intake runner with a 2.02 valve. The exhaust is 60 cc with a 1.60 valve. Figure with a .039 gasket my squish should be .044. As for pistons I hope to use a dished forged floating pin piston +10.9 cc. This combo should make static compression right a 9:1. Scat 9000 crank and their Pro comp (not the company) rods will finish the rotating assembly. I have a steel gm 350 crank that is standard but needs ground however only God knows what its been through so I figured the 9000 would be better for the kid's driver. The cam I am considering is pretty basic. It matches the heads and is a Edelbrock performer plus 2102. Advertised Duration 278/288, Lift .420/.442 112 lobe separation. Its uses a flat hydraulic lifter. The intake I'm considering is an Edelbrock performer esp topped with a edelbrock 600 cfm electric choke carb. Not sure if I'll use roller or stamped rockers, not sure how the rollers are on the street. Oh yeah, ignition will be an MSD streetfire HEI.

Well thats what Im thinking. Any input is much appreciated. I know there is alot of Edelbrock stuff but this is for a daily driver and I am looking for something decent both quality and budget wise. Dont know what kind of HP this will make but I would guess around 300 horse. Anyway, I'm open for suggestions or comments. I'm at your mercy...lol. Ted

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Very nice choices for what you want too do with your build. Should all work excellent together. Add a TCI 2000-2200 stall and some 3.42's.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sounds ok for a driver, you have on there asking how roller rockers are on the street and myself and most my buddy's all run them and there's no worries they don't make a motor run much different all they do is reduce some valveyrain friction

Reactions: pdsniper

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
That's a nice driver motor you have plans for. However for a first time driver I'd start him off with a cheap Craigslist 307 or such until he has some experience behind the wheel and proves he can maintain an old car, then have him build the 350 with you.

Devin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts