Team Chevelle banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '67 Chevelle SS 396 that I'm restoring/customizing. I'm swapping out the 396 to put in a ZZ502/625hp. The body is off and I'm trying to get all the stuff done that I can. Right now I want to get the motor mounts and frame stands ready but don't know if I need different mounts and stands. Can anyone out there please give me all the advice they possibly can? I was told by a few people before I chose the 502 that it would use the same mounts as the 396 but now am getting different responses. I'm also installing a Tremec TKO600 so need to know about the trans mount as well. Would like to know what manufacturer of mounts and the best place to buy them. Right now I have no mounts whatsoever. Just a Chevelle all over my garage.
Thanks for taking the time to read and anything would be greatly appreciated and would put me way ahead of where I am now.

·
Premium Member
13,602 Posts
As far as I know, there are two different motor mounts for that year Chevelle. Big block, and small block. Obviously, you need the BB ones. I prefer to use the Polyurethane ones. Energy suspension is one of the brands available. Those are the ones I used. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
13,602 Posts
Thanks so much, BillyGman. It's more than I knew before so it helps me out alot.
Just make sure that you have/use BB frame stands too. Don't try and mix and match. The later year Chevelles (69-72...not sure about 68) no longer used "Big Block" and "smallblock" motor mounts. Instead, they switched to "307" mounts, and "all others" so that can sometimes be a cause for confusion. Especially when some parts retailers still list the 69-72 Chevelle motor mounts as bieng either "SB" or "BB". But that is incorrect for those years. ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BillyGman, do you know if I'll have to do much modification in order for this engine and trans to fit?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,602 Posts
BillyGman, do you know if I'll have to do much modification in order for this engine and trans to fit?
Thanks
The engine shouldn't be a problem at all, unless it has an oil pan for a truck on it (some GM crate engines come with those, and they won't provide enough clearance for the steering center links nor for the crossmember of the frame on most Chevelles, so they have to be changed for a more suitable oil pan) but I'm not sure about that transmission. I seem to remember reading something on here about floor tunnel modifications being needed for those, but this might be a case of my middle aged memmory failing me :D so I could be wrong about that. You should start a new thread in the transmision forum of this board to ask that question.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a crate motor from a Chev dealership named Gilbert Chevrolet in Washington state. It'a super street build they put together for me.

·
Premium Member
13,602 Posts
I know for certain tha the ZZ572 engines used to come with truck oil pans (I believe that they still do) but I don't know if the ZZ502 engines do also. If you're not sure just by looking at it, then you might want to call that dealer to inquire. In case you aren't already aware of it, the 502 engines used to come with clutch linkage bosses that needed to be drilled and tapped. If they still do, then you'll want to take care of that before you install that engine in the car. You probably already have this covered, but I'll dumb it down here in case you don't...those engines typically come with flexplates for automatic transmissions. So if you'll be using the manual trans, you'll need to replace that flexplate with a flywheel. ;)

What about the exhaust? Are you using exhaust manifolds, or will you be using headers?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when I ordered the engine from the dealer I told the guy in charge of building the engines which trans I was going to use so there is a flywheel on it. I'll be installing headers on it. Just need to decide which type and make.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
For your TKO 600 this is a good site to buy from I have been told www.Hurst-Drivelines.com I also think that your existing motor mounts will work. Billy is wise on thinking that poly mounts would be better that is alot of power shaking in between those rails :yes:.I am installing a 467 right now with 500+ I wondering if I should be using poly mounts too?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Firedup. All info is greatly appreciated. All I need now is for someone to put it together for me. I can handle the driving end OK. =)

·
Premium Member
13,602 Posts
when I ordered the engine from the dealer I told the guy in charge of building the engines which trans I was going to use so there is a flywheel on it. I'll be installing headers on it. Just need to decide which type and make.
Then you should be good with headers. There's a footnote in the GM PP catalog that the 502 engine might nned a couple different cylinder head bolts when using exhaust manifolds, so that's why I asked.

.I am installing a 467 right now with 500+ I wondering if I should be using poly mounts too?
The thing that I like about the poly mounts is that they're stronger than the stock rubber ones, and I believe they will hold up to oil to should any happen to get on them from leaking valve covers or from small accidental spills during oil changes.

The poly mounts don't seem to flex as much as the rubber ones do, but they do flex a little. Which probably isn't a bad thing for street cars. I installed them on my Chevelle, and I used them for years on an old Vette, and never had any problems with them. I work with a guy who had a supercharged BB Chevelle who only drove it on the street, and he broke one of the solid motor mounts that he bought from Moroso, so the solid ones aren't always superior strength wise. He never took the car to the track even onces, but he did have tubbed out wheel wells and huge tires on it, so it hooked pretty decent on the street. He then replaced the solid ones with the poly ones, and never had a problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts