Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 S.S. 396 with approx. 420 H.P. that I run a few times a year at the local drag strip. Stock motor mounts are the only thing holding the motor & trans down. Is that enough? Will I have problems if something else is not added? What else could be added to support the motor and/or trans?

·
Banned
269 Posts
70RickSS, stock mounts are fine @ that power level. I used this setup running mid 11's. Otherwise buy a pair of solid mounts and use only 1 mount on the drivers side, I'm currently using this setup and have run in the 10's. The other benifit of this set up is it will help your reaction time.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Rick, if they are original equipment mounts, I would consider upgrading with new ones from Energy Suspension. I'm sure alot of folks run their stock mounts with that much power but over time they do deteriorate and will eventually break when it takes a strong torque load (ie. at the track with slicks out back).

They are made of polyurethane and will not flex nearly as much as stock rubber mounts. After I made the switch for my 383, I noticed an increase in initial torque reponse from the car. Less flex is less torque loss through the drivetrain. Hope this helps.

------------------
1970 Malibu - 383 'Fog Fed' Stroker. Houston, Texas...Gold Member #39
Keep America Beautiful - Drive A Brute Force Chevelle!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses. I'm running in the mid 13's and I do have the aftermarket solid motor mounts on both sides. It sounds like my present setup is OK.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'm with Wes, I installed Poly engine & trany mounts. Be sure your tranny mount is good also! A defective tranny mount will cause the motor mount failure, usually the driver side. Some guys will put a solid mount on the driver side only since the passenger side is the compression side.

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430HP / 4L60
"Canyon Carver"

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I use stock mounts because I dont like the vibrations the solids cause, and I have actually seen solid mounts break too. I run a chain on the drivers side to keep the engine from rotating too much and breaking the mount.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet
69/71 camaros

·
Registered
12 Posts
Friend of mine uses solid mounts in a 400 horse 350. The car doesnt vibrate much at all. I cant really tell the difference between solid and rubber. The poly mounts are just a rip off. solids cost only $25 or less for stock rubber. The rubber tear where they are glued to the backing. Just a thoght.

·
Registered
994 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Crazy:
The poly mounts are just a rip off. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm glad people have different opinions, because if we were all the same life would be boring

Crazy - The old 300HP, IF THAT, which was in my 67 Elcamino would go through Driver side motor mounts like crazy.
My 69 elcamino had WAY over 400HP and would break them about every six months
I have not had one problem since I started using poly-mounts two years ago
Solid mounts are a little harder on some componates because it resonates the engine vibration throught the car which could, as remote as it may seem, lead to electrical problems. However, the solid mounts do provide a good electrical ground.
A rip off??? Not in my opinion. I think it was money well spent at only $30ea for poly mounts.

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430HP / 4L60
"Canyon Carver"

[This message has been edited by Cardiac (edited 02-10-2000).]

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have solid mounts on my 69 Chevelle, and I have to say that they made a world of difference. THe vibrations are hardly noticeable. THe only problem was it took my dad and me 6 hours to install them with the engine in the car. It invilved lots of careful work with the floor jack and some rocking back and forth, Also, the stock mounts were a bear to remove till I went out and bought a 3/8 drive universal joint to get at the bottom, drivers side bolt. At about $30, the are well worth the money.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
When my Dad's 67 Chevelle was fairly new, Chevy put a cable on one of the motor mounts to keep it from breaking. It was only a 283.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'am a piece of chain man myself, Kinda the best of both worlds.Vibration absorbtion of stock, torque control of solids, plus chain is cheap.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model, 69 Chevelle coupe
70 El Camino,71 SS Camaro
79 Corvette
Kerrville,Tx.
A Camel is a Horse designed by a commitee

·
Registered
937 Posts
For an alternative to solid mounts why not get the stock rubber mounts that have interlocking metal tabs. This allows sutble dampening of the engine vibrations, but keeps the engine from torquing over too much. Rubber also keeps the rest of the bolts in your car from vibrating loose. Solid Mounts are fine, but for a frequent driver you will develop problems that aren't noticable from the seat of your pants.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I think the motor mounts your refering to are for early 327 Chevelles? For some odd reason when I used them the "T" tab would interfer with the block
so I had to cut them off

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430HP / 4L60
"Canyon Carver"

·
Registered
937 Posts
Actually my '69 Chevelle has Lakewood "Muscle-mounts" holding my 350 in. They are a hard durometer rubber with interlocking tabs. Most aftermarket urethane mounts have this feature.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
You guys all have a lot of good info, but I have one question? If you put solid eng. mounts, should you put a solid trans mount also or should you leave a rubber mount to take some chassis flex. Just wondering what you guys think.

------------------
71 Chevelle 454
65 Elco 4x4
68 Firebird 400 Conv.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Bret- Yes if you should install the same type of trans mount as the driver side mount. The reason for this is that the transmission will act like a lever on your motor mounts when the tranny mount is loose. The tranny will want to twist or rotate with the engine. Some guys will use the stock rubber mount on the pass side because it gets compressed, not streched, therefor breakage is almost never.

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430HP / 4L60
"Canyon Carver"

·
Registered
69 Posts
Page 24 of the April 2000 "Chevy High Performance" magazine has an article on Energy Suspension's performance motor mounts with dimensions and a cutaway of their mounts with interlocking upper/lower mount plates. They have a catalog of motor and trans mount applications.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I kinda liked Harleys Idea,,,seems simple , retains stock Mounts,wich I cant help but think that the facory mounts are the way to go, I like the chain idea also...

·
Banned
269 Posts
Bret, no to the solid trans mount, tailshaft housing will break.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Diddo Bret, for high HP street applications I've always heard that the tranny mount has got to flex a tad and if it has no room to wiggle, something is going to give.

------------------
1970 Malibu - 383 'Fog Fed' Stroker. Houston, Texas...Gold Member #39
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/wescolby2.jpeg
Keep America Beautiful - Drive A Brute Force Chevelle!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.