Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1967 chevelle that was a small block caroriginally. We converted it to a big block 427 from a 1968 corvette. Theproblems I have had are so many it would take a week to tell you. But I am inneed of some accurate advice please. When we put the big block in they did notconvert the motor mounts to big block they were still small block. We hadheaders go bad and in trying to replace them I found that to go to long tube wehad to change the mounts and also the oil pan was rubbing on the cross member. So I changed the pan and installed new motor mounts and a set ofSanderson Shorty headers. we had to do some other changes because we were goingto convert to a fast 2.o efi system but our shop was broken in and the efi wasstolen. So the person I had working on the motor put the engine back togetherand installed it back in the car. Before all this was done we also had aproblem with the 700 r4 transmission and the pinion angle was way off so weneeded a new trans crossmember which we installed also. The problem Ihave now is the mechanic said he did not do anything to change where the motormounts were installed. But the motor has moved forward at least 2 1/2 to threeinches forward. so much so that I had to redo the brackets on the radiator justto be able to install it. I had a set of electric fans to put in but there isnot enough clearance now. I have two questions for you

1. where should the big block motor mounts be installed onthe cross member these are set all the way forward and the part that the motormounts off the engine connect hangs off the front of the cross membercompletely. Do you have any pictures showing proper placement for me

2. Is there any way that this could have happened withoutsomeone altering proper placement of the motor mounts.

Could you please help me I am at the end of my rope and I amabout to dump this in a pond.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
It would be easier to figure out with pictures, mind reading is tough enough but impossible on the internet.:D;)

Reactions: Kirk's67SS

·
Premium Member
7,224 Posts
Did they/you use short or long waterpump? 67 BB cars had short if you use long it may give you clearance problems eith radiator/fan setup. Like Eric said you will get more help if you post pictures.

·
Registered
6,201 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
I have a 1967 chevelle that was a small block caroriginally. We converted it to a big block 427 ... When we put the big block in they did notconvert the motor mounts to big block they were still small block. We hadheaders go bad and in trying to replace them I found that to go to long tube wehad to change the mounts and also the oil pan was rubbing on the cross member. So I changed the pan and installed new motor mounts and a set ofSanderson Shorty headers... The problem Ihave now is the mechanic said he did not do anything to change where the motormounts were installed. But the motor has moved forward at least 2 1/2 to threeinches forward. so much so that I had to redo the brackets on the radiator justto be able to install it... I have two questions for you

1. where should the big block motor mounts be installed onthe cross member these are set all the way forward and the part that the motormounts off the engine connect hangs off the front of the cross membercompletely. Do you have any pictures showing proper placement for me

2. Is there any way that this could have happened withoutsomeone altering proper placement of the motor mounts.
As mentioned, there was another thread recently dealing with similar issues...

But the short answer would be that the BB mounts bolt to the same location as the original SB mounts (on 66/67)... In fact, for 1966 and 1967 Chevelles, the Big Block mounts in the exact same place as the small block. You can even use the small block frame mounts with small block rubber block mounts, or small block rubber on BB frame pedestals and it should all fit... Sometimes repro stuff doesn't work.

The main difference for the BB frame mounts/pedestals, is that they provide a relif for the additional safety T-shaped piece that limits movement should the rubber fail/separate (ironically, I have heard original rubber BB mounts did not use the T-shape piece, at least in 1966, IIRC)...

I also agree that pictures would be better... Also, the long water pump versus short. IIRC, the 1968 Corvette should be a short pump(?)... A 1968 Corvette 427 oil pan will NOT fit the Chevelle, but even the correct "Chevelle" oil pan will NOT clear the crossmember if the enging was moved forward 2.5 inches...

Sounds like maybe someone is ordering/using the incorrect pieces??? So more info and more pictures please...

BTW, even with correct motor location, many headers may still hit the crossmember, etc. While they fit with some massaging, many headers are designed for 68+ Chevelles. The 68-72 chassis is just a little bit different than the 64-67...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just so everyone knows this car has a nickname the Chevelle from Hell
its been nothing but a heartache. That's why I appreciate your help so much.
I appreciate your response the problem is how do I take pictures of motor mount with the engine in the way. My first question is would it be unusual to gain 2 to 3 inches movement of the motor when you switch to big block mounts. Also what should the distance be from the radiator support and the front of the block. Its so close now I cant get the alternator bolt out without taking off the brackets.
'
I tried several header companys and for example hooker specifically says you have to have big block motor mounts and I bought the Sanderson before I decided to change the mounts. Also you are right the pan was an issue but I found a smaller collection area Moroso pan I believe its a 6 quart instead of a 7 quart, Everything is back in but I still think the motor is to far forward. Or is it normally that tight

One last bit of trouble we did all this because we were downsizing the cam to change from carburetor to EFI I bought FASR ez efi 2.0 and was just getting ready to install and someone broke in and stole the system. So because it was not attached to the car the insurance said no. So I am struggling with paying another 2700.00 for the replacement FAST. I have been looking at FITECH do you have any opinion on that system I like what I have read and its half the cost.

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
...how do I take pictures of motor mount with the engine in the way. My first question is would it be unusual to gain 2 to 3 inches movement of the motor when you switch to big block mounts. Also what should the distance be from the radiator support and the front of the block. Its so close now I cant get the alternator bolt out without taking off the brackets.
Take pictures from low in the engine compartment, or even from under the front bumper... Its important to see the relationship between the pedestals/mounts and the crossmember... As noted in the other thread (see a few posts above), some frames may have more than one set of mounting holes. Whomever install the frame mounts should have used the same holes as the small block mounts that were removed...

Is it unusual to gain 2-3 inches of movement? YES, there is definitely a problem... When switching from small block to Big Block Frame pedestals, the engine should sit in exactly the same location (okay, so maybe 1/4" difference, if ANY)... The frame pedestals do NOT alter the location of the engine, unless they were installed incorrectly!

Engine Mounts

First picture shows the 64-67 small block next to the 65-67 BB frame pedestals. Not the greatest angle, but helps illustrate that all the bolt-hole locations are similar...

Be careful, further down the page is a picture showing 69 and later frame mounts, with the "307" being "lower" than the 350/396/454... This is ONLY for later Chevelles...

Not sure of the exact measurement, but from the radiator support to the front of the engine block should be about a foot... That's not including radiator, waterpump, etc...

Here's a picture ( I think the third picture gives a good idea of the clearance)...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi2zuiZ8v_RAhVPzGMKHQc4Cv8QjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.barrett-jackson.com%2FArchive%2FEvent%2FItem%2F1966-CHEVROLET-CHEVELLE-SS-396-CONVERTIBLE-189492&psig=AFQjCNE92xYMaq3gRk8gWoledUtGOM2SDQ&ust=1486622359575669

As previously noted, the 1966 Chevelle should have a short water pump with the alternator on the drivers side... MANY people use the later long water pump setup that moves the fan/pulleys/alternator closer to the radiator... This is another place where pictures of YOUR engine may help...

'
...I tried several header companys and for example hooker specifically says you have to have big block motor mounts and I bought the Sanderson before I decided to change the mounts. Also you are right the pan was an issue but I found a smaller collection area Moroso pan I believe its a 6 quart instead of a 7 quart, Everything is back in but I still think the motor is to far forward. Or is it normally that tight
Recheck the header specs. a LOT of header companies list headers as only fitting 68+, and some note the same "must use BB mounts", but this is generally for the later Chevelles, not '66. Pretty common on a 65/66/67 for headers not to fit without some minor "clearancing", unless you decide on $700+ headers...

Unsure on non-stock oil pans (part numbers may help other reply), but if the engine is too far forward, I can't see a "Chevelle-specific pan as fitting... Typically, the Chevelle oil pan sump will drop down within an inch or so of the back of the cross-member...

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
Just so everyone knows this car has a nickname the Chevelle from Hell
its been nothing but a heartache. That's why I appreciate your help so much.
I appreciate your response the problem is how do I take pictures of motor mount with the engine in the way. My first question is would it be unusual to gain 2 to 3 inches movement of the motor when you switch to big block mounts. Also what should the distance be from the radiator support and the front of the block. Its so close now I cant get the alternator bolt out without taking off the brackets.
'
I tried several header companys and for example hooker specifically says you have to have big block motor mounts and I bought the Sanderson before I decided to change the mounts. Also you are right the pan was an issue but I found a smaller collection area Moroso pan I believe its a 6 quart instead of a 7 quart, Everything is back in but I still think the motor is to far forward. Or is it normally that tight

One last bit of trouble we did all this because we were downsizing the cam to change from carburetor to EFI I bought FASR ez efi 2.0 and was just getting ready to install and someone broke in and stole the system. So because it was not attached to the car the insurance said no. So I am struggling with paying another 2700.00 for the replacement FAST. I have been looking at FITECH do you have any opinion on that system I like what I have read and its half the cost.

First get the Engine into the car properly before worrying about the FI

there are lots of Threads on here about the good/mostly bad on various FI systems
do some home work and read them by doing a search

Did you bother to read the Thread I gave you on the Frame Mounts
and placement of the Engine in the Engine Bay ?
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/45-chevelle-tech/944874-67-chevelle-bigblock-frame-mounts-2.html
see Posts #s 4 / 10 / 15 / 16 / 19 / 21 / 24 / 25

Reactions: 1966_L78

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
It would be easier to figure out with pictures, mind reading is tough enough but impossible on the internet.:D;)
Did they/you use short or long waterpump? 67 BB cars had short if you use long it may give you clearance problems eith radiator/fan setup. Like Eric said you will get more help if you post pictures.
PICS needed >:)
even ones of how the Engine is sitting in the Engine Bay !
so we can say whether it is sitting to far forward .........

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
As stated earlier pics of the engine position would be really helpful. If the trans cross member is in the proper position and the transmission bolts to the mount, then the engine is in the right place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts