Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used the chain to head method but am considering a x-mas present of the carb/manifold lifting brkt.Never used one but have seen them used.Any real dangers or negatives with useing the carb type brkt.??
Are they good to use with engine/tranny removals or just engine lifting???Comments please??!!!!
Rick

------------------

·
Registered
167 Posts
I made a bracket like the one I think you are talking about. It bolts on to the manifold in place of the carb. I don't even know where it is because I haven't used it since a friend of mine got one of those engine tilters. The manifold bracket works fine for lifting just the engine, but it is impossible to change the angle once you have the engine's weight on it. That crank tilter thing works so slick, it's easily worth buying one even after the first use.

------------------
Steve

72 Chevelle SS402/4sp

·
Registered
934 Posts
Go with the tilter especially if your going to be installing an engine with the transmission attached. They work great. Lets you do the job by yourself too.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

silverstone.fortunecity.com/tvr/246/bob_s_409_chevy_page_index.html

·
Registered
193 Posts
I agree, The tilter is the way to go, but if you are like me and pinching the old pennies. I have doen it quite a few times without it with the tranny attached. It takes two people though. but can be done. I have done it myself and just used a come a long to tilt things as needed. A poor man has poor ways. And about the bracket it works fine. Slime

------------------
Steve

·
Registered
167 Posts
Slime- been there done that. I didn't say I bought a tilter, just borrow it. I put a BB in a car without a tilter, and the transmission was installed. I used a cherry picker for most of the weight, and a come along for the tailstock of the tranny to tilt the engine. Oh yeah, by myself! It just takes some patience.

Just a word of caution though. If you are going to use one of the manifold brackets, make sure you use as long of bolts as you can, especially with an aluminum intake! take some longer bolts and grind them down or shim them with washers. A friend of mine used my bracket to hoist a 440 mopar into his car, with a 4sp bolted to the motor (mopar trannies are heavier than chevys) He bolted it to the aluminum intake with the carb studs! It let go! Wasn't pretty, but could have been worse! Be careful!

------------------
Steve

72 Chevelle SS402/4sp

[This message has been edited by SSteve L (edited 11-26-99).]

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the input.think i'll pass on the carb. brkt and get a tilt type lifter.
I plan on pulling the 402 from my El Cam.after x-mas to do some go fast stuff to it,just trying to plan ahead.
Rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.