Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My plan was to buy a smog motor, swap the cam, intake, heads, and carb and throw it into my car. Well, all was going to plan until I took the oil pan off and found that the motor had grenaded itself. The bottom of rod was wide open and the crank was scorched. So, back to the drawing board.

My question is - what do I keep? I think the block is salvageable and I kept the oil pan. The heads and cam are crap, and the rotating assembly is toast. I guess my question is about main caps and pushrods and the like. I kept the accessories for cores.

EDIT (again) - this is a big block - no idea how I left that out of the first post.

Thanks

·
Registered
491 Posts
The first question is what type engine is it? If it is a later model stock small block I would get rid of it. Why? Because it is cheaper to just get a new GM long block. You can get a 260HP for less then 2K and that is with a warranty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's your budget and goal with the car?

Steve R
Really just want a running big block with more HP than my Chevy replacement 327 with a truck intake. I have no idea why anyone put this motor in the car.

The first question is what type engine is it? If it is a later model stock small block I would get rid of it. Why? Because it is cheaper to just get a new GM long block. You can get a 260HP for less then 2K and that is with a warranty.
It is a 14015445 2 bolt 454.

I have a set of 049 heads for it and had pretty much decided on a 280/288 cam before I found all this.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
It might be worth taking it to a machine shop, have them prep the block and either have them source a kit with reconditioned crank and rods. You should be able to find kits like that online for a reasonable price.

Steve R

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
If it didn't eat a main bearing and the 'open rod' didn't knock any holes in the block, most likely the block could be used. Learned the hard way when buying an unknown core engine (especially BBCs), always, always, ALWAYS, take the pan off and have a look.
Keep your eyes peeled, 454 cranks and rods are not hard to find, and new parts (496 rotating assembly) are not terribly expensive.

Where are you at in the southeast?

·
Registered
14,985 Posts
Keep the block, fasteners, oil filter bypass, and the tin. Order a 496 kit from someone like Ohio crank shaftco for $1200 use your heads and call it done. Jim

·
Super Moderator
13,143 Posts
Exactly what engine is it ? 454 but what year ? One piece seal crank or 2 ? 2 bolt or 4 bolt mains on the block ? Might be a steel crank and might be fixable ? No way of telling without more details. The later model 454 blocks are getting harder to find and the marine guys are always looking for them. Same goes with the heads depending on what they are. Need more details to say for sure what to keep and what to trash.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I wanted your opinions. This is the crack in the block. From talking to people, who did not see the engine, it seems like it may not be salvageable. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I wanted your opinions. This is the crack in the block. From talking to people, who did not see the engine, it seems like it may not be salvageable. Thoughts?
Is that spot where the chunk got taken out through to the water jacket? If so you could probably put a sleeve in it. Any other damage / witness marks on the block due to the motor being grenaded?

Or you could take the thing back to the seller and get your money back as it was mis-represented.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts

Sleeve it if it went into the water jacket. If your not sure have a machine shop magnaflux the block before you do anything to it.
If you decide to rebuild it purchase a 489"/496" Scat forged stroker kit(complete rotating assembly) on ebay for $1200 as you will get free cubic inches compared to a 454" rotating assembly and the two will be very little if any difference in cost to rebuild.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is that spot where the chunk got taken out through to the water jacket? If so you could probably put a sleeve in it. Any other damage / witness marks on the block due to the motor being grenaded?

Or you could take the thing back to the seller and get your money back as it was mis-represented.
Sleeve it if it went into the water jacket. If your not sure have a machine shop magnaflux the block before you do anything to it.
If you decide to rebuild it purchase a 489"/496" Scat forged stroker kit(complete rotating assembly) on ebay for $1200 as you will get free cubic inches compared to a 454" rotating assembly and the two will be very little if any difference in cost to rebuild.
I will admit to being ignorant about the water jacket question. If it is into the water jacket then it CAN be sleeved? I also wondered about the ability to stroke the engine with a sleeve. If I have to sleeve the engine it is still possible to stroke it to a 496?

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
I will admit to being ignorant about the water jacket question. If it is into the water jacket then it CAN be sleeved? I also wondered about the ability to stroke the engine with a sleeve. If I have to sleeve the engine it is still possible to stroke it to a 496?
More than likely you can sleeve it and stroking it to 496" would not be an issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts