Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While filling up gas at the local Chevron station I got started talking to some guy about racing, and he mentioned that putting moth balls in the gas tank increases the octane. This sounds pretty strange to me... does anyone know anything about this???

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I've heard this story and other ones that I won't repeat.
I personally won't put anything into my classic cars that Chevy didn't intend being there.
If you want high octane, find a local source for VP Racing gasoline. This stuff is available (at high cost) in just about any octane rating you want, and it has lotsa lead in it.
Get a 5 gallon can or 2 and add some to each tank. Your Octane will get a significant boost, and this way you are adding lead, which is exactly what Chevy intended for these engines.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Isn't that something they did in the 60's/70 with "Leaded" gasloline? Don't do that..

------------------
Scott, 20
Denton/Dallas, 70 Chevelle Malibu
May the force be with you..

·
Registered
111 Posts
In the early 70's a friend had a mini-bike. We used to put mothballs in the gas take to make it go like, well, you know.
I wouldn't put it in my chevelles tank. Maybe there is a chemical engineer on tech that could tell us what happens when the two chemicals are mixed.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
When I was racing stock cars on dirt tracks they would catch the odd guy running them next to his intake, not any real benefit, at least compared to a painted aluminum intake

------------------
Rod Jamieson
Lacombe Alberta Canada
Team Chevelle Gold #22
1970 454
[email protected]

·
Registered
501 Posts
Did you ever smell Moth Balls? How did you get your head between there little legs? This is proably the worst moth ball joke ever.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I used to use benzene in my 64 Merc. It was an octane booster used by oil companies in the good old days. I think it was 140 octane on its own. 5 gallons in a 20 gallon tank was pure heaven.

------------------
Dale P.
Team Chevelle Member# 423
65 El Camino
72 Monte Carlo
"..you did you take the washer off, right?"

·
Gold Founding Member
1,349 Posts
When my father had a boat all the old timers put them in the tanks for the winter they swore it was the same as dry gas Mike

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you're interested in experimenting, Tolulene has some potential. It's supposed to be in the neighborhood of 116 octane. But it is corrosive. So don't get it on your paint. And make sure your fuel lines stay healthy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
asked a friend at work about this told me it was an old trick, when powdered moth balls is mixed with gas produced a form of methane, i think that's how you spell it. you know as in nitro methane!

------------------
1969sschevelle almost finished, prostreet 454
www.homestead.com/prostreet69/1969resto.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.