Chevelles.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 chevelle that i am putting in a 496 and the problem i am having is the energy suspension mounts they say will fit (31115r) will not fit quite over the frame mount . The frame mounts i bought new are sopoossed to be for a bb is there na difference with the frame mount since they only came with a 396 or do you think i have to change frame mounts

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
The frame mounts are physically the same demensions from small to big, if they are actually 64-67 frame mounts, the BBs has an extra reinforcement rib made into them..there is 2 BB mounts from GM..an early and a late, and the 68-72 are narrower..id look into the ones frm ES, i have a pair thats supposed to be 68-72 and they are actually 64-67 becuse they are wider and the bolt squeezes them together and puckers the ears...maybe thats the prob..for you...

·
Registered
78 Posts
im running into a similar problem, ive got bb frame mounts on my 67, and the motor mounts are very wide, i just dropped the motor in it, and theres like 3/4 of an inch gap between the motor mount and frame mount?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have run into a similar problem as well...

What I found for my 67 is that engine mounts sold now have a spacer welded to the mount, to fit the motor mount bracket on the vehicle.

It appears that the original mounts were narrower that fit just right.

So, what I see is that the newer mounts have a spacer added - instead of a totally different metal part of the mount. This would be cheaper to make, by welding the spacer to fit our application instead of having them made as the originals were.

I have not used Energy Suspension mounts, but I can see from my own experience and reading other post's about mounts - there are concerns about the sizes.

Bob

·
Registered
78 Posts
ya maybe, i got mine of ebay, so there no telling it if were the correct one, i just ordered another set on ebay, and in the picture the ears are narrow, the one i have on now the ear of the mount is on the outside of the bolt the goes in the block, the narrow ones. like the ones i just ordered, the ear of the mount is on the inside of were the bolt goes in the block

·
Premium Member
8,929 Posts
I am ready to get chewed out..................:yes:
The 454 in my Chevelle is an engine, But it does have a starter motor, Wiper motor, & heater motor.... OK...... Start the Flames.
Yea, Its been a slow day.:boring:
Motor? Engine?.......... Whats the difference?
Bob

·
Premium Member
17,435 Posts
I am ready to get chewed out..................:yes:
The 454 in my Chevelle is an engine, But it does have a starter motor, Wiper motor, & heater motor.... OK...... Start the Flames.
Yea, Its been a slow day.:boring:
Motor? Engine?.......... Whats the difference?
Bob
Well,
According to my handy Webster's Dictionary,

Motor:
1)Anything that produces or imparts motion...
2) An engine, especially an internal-combustion engine for propelling a vehicle...

Engine:
1) Any machine that uses energy to develop mechanical power

So, by definition, a car engine is a motor... And since that starter motor (wiper motor, etc) uses energy to develop mechanical power, they are also engines...

Imagine that...
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
19,940 Posts
The frame stands are definately different between a big-block and small-block in 1967. Big-block unit is on the left. The shorter area was needed to clear the safety tabs on the engine mounts.

Note how the locking tab hits the small-block frame stand on the right.

There was a general recall to fix a lot of these non-locking engine mounts due to rubber failure on the driver side. Dealers either installed the big-block frame mounts along with the locking mount or used a cable restraint system to keep the engine from torquing over too much in the event of an engine mount failure.

GM parts catalog even suggests when dealers replaced engine mounts in a 283/327, they use the 396 frame stands and newer engine mounts.

It could be that some aftermarket designs have a fitment problem.

·
Premium Member
8,929 Posts
A Motor uses Electrical energy to produce mechanical energy.
A Engine uses thermal energy to produce mechanical energy.
Also a Engine can be used in a stand alone project, Out in the middle of no-where. Water pump, Oil pumping, Etc.
A Motor can do the same job in the middle of no-where, BUT it needs an outside power source.
Next: The Chicken or Egg !
Bob
The reason for this silly stuff is..... I am waiting for the big brown truck to bring my brake booster, So I can drive my wagon.
Bob

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I have a 67 chevelle that i am putting in a 496 and the problem i am having is the energy suspension mounts they say will fit (31115r) will not fit quite over the frame mount . The frame mounts i bought new are sopoossed to be for a bb is there na difference with the frame mount since they only came with a 396 or do you think i have to change frame mounts
Pretty sure the mounts you have are for the wrong years.

The part you need is 31114G/R.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-3-1114G/

They will work with either the BB or SB stands in 67. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
hes using aftermarket engine side mounts, so the clearance for the locking tab wouldnt come into play..i have a 396 on small block mounts and it works

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
hes using aftermarket engine side mounts, so the clearance for the locking tab wouldnt come into play..i have a 396 on small block mounts and it works
If my response was unclear, I apologize. I should have been more specific. The motor mounts (Energy Susp. part # 31115R) he has are not correct for a 67 Chevelle. Those mounts work on 68 & up Chevelles, not the 64-67 cars.

The 31114 energy susp motor mounts that I posted the link for will work on either SB or BB frame stands in a '67. Those are the mounts the OP needs.

·
Premium Member
19,940 Posts
Looking at the photo of the 31114 mount, it has no locking tab so I'd assume it would fit either frame stand. I'd also have to assume they'd never separate...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The other thing i was wondreing was the size of the moter mount bolts are they 7/16 or 1/2 inch in thicknessx41/2

1 - 14 of 14 Posts