Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had originally planned to use a oil relocation system, but my builder wants me to try to keep the filter where it is at if I can. There are lots of you guys using the Moroso pans how about in conjunction with the Hooker competition 2" ceramic coated headers. I have always had a problem with the filter and that was without the kickout.

I was thinking that if I just expect to take the header off and lay it to the side that it will take some "finagling" but should come out with just a little oil spill.

If anyone is using this combo please let me know of any issues. Again, I realize I could use a relocation system but I am trying to avoid that if I can. Just want to know what to expect. :yes:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm using the 20403 pan along with the same Hooker Competition headers (2455's). No problem removing the filter w/o having to loosen the headers. Just spills a small amount of oil. I'm going to AFR's with raised ex. ports. I'll find out soon how it is with them.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Curious as to what the disadvantages are (besides the initial cost $$$ of installation) for a filter relocation system. Been running one myself with no problems that I am aware of. I use a CV Products Billet Filter Mount plumbed with 5/8 hard lines from the filter pad to the front of the block and -10 AN Lines to the remote filter mount with the big Wix 51222 Filter. Makes it real easy to change oil & filter.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
The potential problem with remote filters is that they are usually mounted higher than the block's filter pad, so when you shut down, the oil can drain out of the lines back into the pan. So when you start it the next time, there is a lag until you have full pressure. But boats do it all the time, so does it really matter? I thought of putting check valves in my lines...

When I had to remote mount my filter because of my Moroso pan, I made a bracket that bolted to the front of my block to keep the filter mount as low as possible to minimize the gravity effect. The hardware to do everything cost a couple of hundred. But it sure is nice to change the oil, no more pouring on the headers. You would really remove a header to change the oil? I have 2455's also.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
The potential problem with remote filters is that they are usually mounted higher than the block's filter pad, so when you shut down, the oil can drain out of the lines back into the pan. So when you start it the next time, there is a lag until you have full pressure. But boats do it all the time, so does it really matter? I thought of putting check valves in my lines...

When I had to remote mount my filter because of my Moroso pan, I made a bracket that bolted to the front of my block to keep the filter mount as low as possible to minimize the gravity effect. The hardware to do everything cost a couple of hundred. But it sure is nice to change the oil, no more pouring on the headers. You would really remove a header to change the oil? I have 2455's also.

WOW!! Very nice job :thumbsup: Real clean install.
Maybe I never noticed any problems because I use a Canton Accu-sump to pre-oil as well. I 've always wondered about the drain back.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also plan to use an Accu sump. Wilson just said no issues with the combo so why spend $200 more? Thanks for the input. I'll try it without one first see how much of a pain it ends up being.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
I'm using the 20403 pan along with the same Hooker Competition headers (2455's). No problem removing the filter w/o having to loosen the headers. Just spills a small amount of oil. I'm going to AFR's with raised ex. ports. I'll find out soon how it is with them.
Me too...

·
Registered
632 Posts
Gibbons your car is FREAKING clean!!!! Do you do anything other than clean it......lol just joking!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts