Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys figure this one out...

Using Elleree 's wiper motor diagram, and the switch you sent me John. I cannot turn off my wipers. With the wiper arms not attached everything seems ok.. although the motor just stops where you turn it off.. no parking.. I touched the wiper arm to the motor mounting ball, and POW sparks go everywhere... I then unplug the battery.. hookup the wiper arm and reconnect the BATT. Wiper starts going to town as soon as I turn the key to the ON position. switch is in OFF. I then move switch to low same speed, move to high they speed up. Push button washer pump goes...

John the switch is different in that mine only had the 3 prongs on the back not 5.

ANy ideas...

Thanks,

------------------
Jody Sirmans
71 SS454
ACES
JODY'S 71 or Peach State Chevelles

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
We're talk about the switch next week. I guess the 72s are different. I learned something. Borrowing a little from Mr. Colby's work.
Let's double-check the wiring and switch. Unplug the wiper connector. See if the is any voltage to ground on the connector switch wires (3 wires) with the ignition switch on. There should not be any voltage. The 3 wires are the light blue, black, and dark blue.
If the is no voltage, measure continuity on the 3 wires. Put one side, of the meter, to a good ground under the hood. The same place as you used to measure voltage should be fine. The other end, of the meter, goes on the wires as follows:

Wiper switch. (grounds the three attached wires)
Light Blue- grounded in Low-speed and Hi-speed positions.
Black- grounded in Low-speed and Off positions.
Dark Blue- grounded when pushed for washer pump operation.

Move the switch around and check to see if it works like the above table. A little difficult to check the pump wire unless you have an extra hand.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Isn't alittle odd to be grounding though the wiper arms?

I'll double check the wires...

Oh another thing, Orignally there is a brass connector from the lower mounting isolator to the pump cover bolt. My new isoloators were missing this so I made one with some connectors and a 12G wire. The wiper would run continuous with the wiper arms not connected. I clipped the wire and the motor stop. It then worked off the switch correctly until I hooked up the wiper arm. It then started up again in the off position.. Just more info... Jody

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Jody
I know the strap you are talking about. I don't now its exact purpose. Maybe someone else does. However, my 72 has it and it gets grounded to the frame though one of the mounting feet.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is an update.

First I connected the 4th terminal on the wiper switch to ground. 72 switch.

I then tested to to see which wires light up.

All seem to be hot or cold when they are supposed to be. According to John & Ellree's diagrams.

Test light proved that motor is grounded.

Wipers still run continuously if key is on position. I have to unplug wiring from motor to stop.

I'm really at a loss here now.. This is a new (reman) NAPA wiper motor.

I'll take any suggestions...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts