Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have acquired all the parts to restore the T.C.S. system on my '70 SS 396ci. 350hp.
M&H Electric Fabricators Inc. fabricated the solenoid wires which were cut from my engine harness when this system was removed by a previous owner,these include the original plug for the solenoid. I also purchased the solenoid from them when they informed me that they actually manufacture this part for the retail suppliers. Since i was purchasing the soleniod they charged me $15.00 for the harness. I thought this was a very reasonable price. I was extremely impressed with their quality and service.
My actual question is regarding the stud which supports the solenoid and will be replacing the intake manifold bolt.
(1)I believe that this stud goes in the second passenger side intake manifold bolt hole, from the front, is this the correct location? Would removing the manifold bolt,replacing with the stud,and retorquing cause a intake manifold leak?

(2)Since this is a cast iron manifold and is painted Chevy engine orange would this stud have also been painted orange from the factory, along with all the other intake manifold bolts?

(3)Would the nut holding the solenoid on the stud have a zinc plated finish and would a lock washer,also zinc plated be correct.

(4)Would the wires (blue and black) for the solenoid just run back to the engine harness along the top of the passenger side valve cover?

I have purchased an assembly manual,but some of the finer, correct details are not apparent.

As always thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to help me out.

Nick Demos
ACES #02638

[This message has been edited by Nick Demos (edited 02-15-99).]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nick,

The stud goes in the second bolt hole, and it won't cause an intake leak to remove the old one and install the stud. It'll be right behind the stud for the alternator mount, and the correct stud is smaller in diameter than the alternator mount stud. It'd be painted red and use zinc plated nut and lock washer. As far as wire routing goes, I think the original valve covers had one or two clips on the top edge of the valve cover to retain the TCS wires to the solenoid, and a couple on the bottom edge for the wires going to the temp switch, but can't swear to the one(s) on top. I'll check when I get out to the garage. It's difficult to get the small details right, ain't it? I'm not even sure everyone would agree on most details.

Jim H

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nick,

I checked on the clips that retain the TCS wiring on the right valve cover. Like a lot of the stuff you can buy from the restoration places, I was almost right. There are two clips on the top of the valve cover for the wires going to the solenoid, and one clip on the bottom for the wire going to the temp switch.

Jim H

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.